Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #36

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


     This was a weird week and it will be for the Mailbox Monday posting. This will actually be a different setup, and I hope you enjoy it. This week I managed to pick up four series, and while they are all on my list, I don't have the time to go through and list them all individually, and I figure it would be far too repetitive to really read. So, the solution I came up with is I would highlight the first book and give my stance on the first three. The last one is a pick up and finishing a series I have already listed in the past.

     As well, the update this week I want to get around is at the start of every Mailbox Monday (after the introduction) I want to create a tab or in site list of the books so you can jump to the bottom book if you want. I think it would add functionality and ultimately may just get people to read about a book better. Who knows, let me know what  you think.

Once in a Full Moon
Touch of Frost
The Demon King
The Dead

Mailbox Pickup:



Title: Once in a Full Moon
   Author: Ellen Schreiber
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: December 28th, 2010

     Beware of a kiss under the full moon. It will change your life forever.

     Celeste Parker is used to hearing scary stories about werewolves—Legend's Run is famous for them. She's used to everything in the small town until Brandon Maddox moves to Legend's Run and Celeste finds herself immediately drawn to the handsome new student. But when, after an unnerving visit with a psychic, she encounters a pack of wolves and gorgeous, enigmatic Brandon, she must discover whether his transformation is more than legend or just a trick of the shadows in the moonlight.

     Her best friends may never forgive her if she gives up her perfect boyfriend, Nash, for Brandon, who's from the wrong side of town. But she can't deny her attraction or the strong pull he has on her. Brandon may be Celeste's hero, or he may be the most dangerous creature she could encounter in the woods of Legend's Run.

     Psychic predictions, generations-old secrets, a town divided, and the possibility of falling in love with a hot and heroic werewolf are the perfect formula for what happens . . . once in a full moon.

     Once in a Full Moon was one of the books I bought on a whim. The idea, the normal world in which every vampire paranormal romance, but this was something different. I bought the series, because it seemed to be more about Werewolves than about Vampires. I wanted to see what other authors thought of the Werewolf lore, and what their thought on the world would be.

     Celeste apparently is a normal girl in which apparently falls for a Werewolf, or what I would think is a werewolf. However, she's got the perfect boyfriend, and yet there is some attraction to a new boy. Great a love triangle, I hate the love triangles, and I hope that Celeste is a strong woman, and can make her own choice. Celeste is one of those characters that I look to, and believe she'd be a great character, and unlike the dumb Bella Swan from Twilight.
    






Title: Touch of Frost
   Author: Jennifer Estep
   Format: Paperback
   Release Date: August 1st, 2011

     My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died...

                        

     The Mythos Academy series, I managed to find a ta local Walmart and Kroger's and put the series together in a few days. When I first looked at the book, I thought the synopsis was quirky and unique. I haven't seen many synopsis that tell the introduction in first person. It gave a great insight into the mind of Gwen and made me want to see more of the character. It almost reminds me of a grown up, or older Harry Potter. Granted that is a big name to compare it to, but I see the comparison.

     Gwen is one of those characters that reminds of an insightful and smart young girl. So I am curious to see how the mystery will be solved, and I hope it does it better than the Harry Potter novels. I guess I shouldn't say better, but unique or an original plot as opposed to the HP series. Furthermore, I have a friend named Gwen and she's the clumsiest person ever, as well as being quirky and witty; this novel's Gwen compares to that persona I have in my mind, and it pushes my curiousity further.
    





Title:The Demon King
   Author: Cinda Williams Chima
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: October 6th, 2009

     One day Han Alister catches three young wizard setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. Han takes an amulet away from Micah Bayar, son of the High Wizard, to ensure the boy won’t use it against him. The amulet once belonged to the Demon King, who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. With a magical piece so powerful at stake, Han knows that the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back.

     Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna has her own battle to fight. She’s just returned to court after three years of riding and hunting with her father’s family. Raisa aspires to be like Hanalea, the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world. But it seems that her mother has other plans for her—plans that include a suitor who goes against everything the Queendom stands for.

     The Seven Realms will tremble when the lives of Han and Raisa collide in this stunning page-turner from best-selling author Cinda Williams Chima.

                        

     The Seven Realms series sparked my eye when it blew up on Goodreads for a short part of a week. So I sought out the series and just picked them up one at a time over a few days. When I looked at the synopsis again, I am left with a simple question; Who is the main character? Is it Han or Raisa? I am hoping that it's going to be Raisa. I tend to enjoy and love reading about female characters more so than males. I am not sure if there is a reason for that, but I find that males don't tend to share as much emotional or personal involvement.

     The question I have is if the main character is Raisa, she is back in the kingdom and her mother wants her to find a suitor and wed. However, Raisa doesn't want to be that or go down that road, I think she's more or less going to be like Katniss from The Hunger Games or Tris from Divergent. Raisa seems more stunning and independent, and I hope she lives up to that expectation.

     Han is the other character that makes me interested, I look at him and wonder just how strong he is going to be. He seems almost like a normal person, but ends up taking the wrong item away from the wrong person to unsure his safety. I want to think of Han like Mr. Miyagi, I just think of Han as the quiet and wise type. So when Han happens to be on the wrong side of a misunderstanding, it makes me wonder how his personality will react to my expectations.

     





Title: The Dead
   Author: Charlie Higson
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: June 14th, 2011

     THE DEAD begins one year before the action in THE ENEMY, just after the Disaster. A terrible disease has struck everyone over the age of sixteen, leaving them either dead or a decomposing, flesh-eating creature. The action starts in a boarding school just outside London where all the teachers have turned into zombies. Together they begin a terrifying journey to find safety, and home.

            

     This is the series that I have highlighted the first book already, so I am curious to see the other books further and just what they hold. I find it odd thought that the next book, The Dead, takes place prior to the first. That's going to be odd and has me on alert for jumping all around. If the series jumps from book to book, it's going to be hard to follow, and get the time line right. It would be something that I may have to look at doing as well, creating a timeline of this series with a suggestion of read order.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger