Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #40

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      I'm done with the deck and while I am looking for more segments and routines of my daily life that I can cut out to make more time for the blog. I have hit another patch of time in which I am busy and even if I can't post or get around to making a comment, I plan to make it up. I am not sure how or when, but I want to get around to to making the missing days worthwhile. Furthermore I have been picking up books as times goes on, and I been keeping them on hand. I will get each and every single one to you.

      Furthermore, this week on Mailbox Monday there has been a different concept I wanted to use. I had a few series that I picked up and wanted to show them to the readers as one unit and talk about the first book in the series. So I tried putting the alternate, or further books in the series on either side of the stance I had on the books. I looked at the series and tried to come up with a way to display the books better and allow you go click on the books and view the Goodreads pages. I hope to show you the books, the series, the authors, and every book on my shelf and the urge to read every single one of them.

Nightshade
I Am
Number Four
The
Gathering
Tempest
The
Immortal Rules

Mailbox Pickup:



Title: Nightshade
   Author: Andrea Cremer
   Format: Paperback
   Release Date: October 19th, 2010

     Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?



     Nightshade I've wanted for a long long time, and while I have been looking for a hardcover copy of the book. I was happy to see it at a local Meijers and I nearly jumped for joy. Nightshade has been on my wishlist for a long long while, and the one book is still on it, Bloodrose.

     Now while I have been leery about picking this book up, there was a comment by Veronica Roth about this book. She says that its's not just another Paranormal book. I love Divergent and Roth's work, so her opinion changed a fair bit about this book for me. I took a second look at it a second time.

     While I first thought it would be a book about a wolf who strays and ends up helping a boy. Yet when her promised life of leading a pack of wolves. Yet what I don't understand is how Calla can be emotionally attached to a boy if she's a wolf? Can she transform into a human? There is questions that I feel needed answered, and I wish they were answered in the synopsis, because that's why I didn't pick this book up sooner.






Title:  I Am Number Four
   Author: Pittacus Lore
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: August 3rd, 2010

     Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books - but we are real.

     Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. We have lived among you without you knowing.

     But they know.

     They caught Number One in Malaysia.
     Number Two in England.
     And Number Three in Kenya.
     They killed them all.

     I am Number Four.

     I am next.

     I am Number Four, came from after I saw the movie and when I finally got into reading. When I saw The Hunger Games and fell in love with the story and how the movie told the story, I went and read the book immediately after. I loved the book more so than the movie as anyone should, and when I was done I asked myself, is there more books like this one? Ever since I have been looking at movies directed at the young adult audience. I saw this movie months later into my investigation and realized I had already seen it and wondered how the book was compared to the book.

     At first I wondered if I am Number Four could live up to the movie, and I loved the movie. I heard they were going to sequels of the movie, but I thought I could get a head start, and maybe read the rest of the books and see where the story ended up. I looked at the book and the series and got into it immediately, and wondered how far the series could go, and just how many times could the aliens go after the nine of them. I enjoy the concept and just how much the series has potential the book has.





Title: The Gathering
   Author: Kelley Armstrong
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: March 1st, 2012

     Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

     Until now.

     Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.


     The Gathering is one of the books that I wanted to get into and while I was looking at my wishlist. This book was something that caught my eye, and while I kept this book on my wishlist over the few weeks I browsed over it. It only got worse when I dated a girl who loved Kelley Armstrong, and when things didn't work out I avoided this book because of her. Now for any fellow book readers out there, that's a bad thing to say about a book, because frankly it's not the books fault. I have to say getting over her only made me want to read this book more, and I get the feeling I am rambling more than I should.

     While I looked at this book, the synopsis doesn't do it justice. I was wondering just what kind of person Maya is. Not exactly personality wise and all, but who she is. Is this some werewolf story, or another paranormal story that I haven't seen yet. I loved the mystery of her persona, but I want more, I want to know who she is. Then there is her friends, and a new bad boy that makes her feel "different." What is that? It sounds so cliche and boring, that I almost wanted to stop there, keep it original Armstrong.






Title:  Tempest
   Author: Julie Cross
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: January 17th, 2012

     The year is 2009. Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

     That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

     Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

     But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time" will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler. Recruit… or kill him.

     Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.

     Tempest I bought later on when I found a copy of Vortex signed at Anderson's Bookshop and fell in love with the concept. However, the reviews on both books haven't been very good from the lines and the bloggers that I have been following so I am a bit hesitant and wondering if I am going to be let down in the end. I hope not, because frankly a first book by an author that bombs, doesn't bode well for the future.

     I looked at this book, and thought a book about Time Travel and wondering how well the idea could play out. The idea of traveling back and forth of time would appeal to everyone; the possibility and the events you could see. However, for Jackson the day his girlfriend is shot by people who supposedly can jump through time as well, is the last time he'd want to jump to. Than again to save her he'd jump through, but what happens when he can't?

     Stuck in a previous year, the people are after him, and the questions arise. Why are they after him? Okay they want to recruit him, but why? The motive is lost, and makes me interested in reading further into the book, but there is something about not making that clear in the synopsis that makes me angry and frustrated. The "enemies of time" pose some questions. And frankly I am wondering why there wasn't more information on them in the synopsis.






Title: The Immortal Rules
   Author: Julie Kagawa
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: April 2nd, 2013

     To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…

     Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

     Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for… again.

     Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.

     So I found this book harder and harder to come by. In good condition that is. I like to keep track of the books that I own, and furthermore I like to keep my books in relatively good condition. No matter where I went to find this book, I found copies at Meijer's, Walmart, and Barnes & Noble, but the books never lived up to my standards. Frayed edges, bent dust jackets, and even bent/marked pages. I hate when I see books on shelves this way, because I wouldn't buy those books and I imagine that there's other people like me.

     Immortal Rules caught my eye the first time when I was at a Meijer's, I didn't realize that Kagawa had another series out and what she was working on other than The Iron Fey series. I was reluctant to pick this series for the time, I was looking at the thought I hadn't started The Iron Fey series yet. Yet there was a pull to this book, and I love the overall concept of the book. A book about what a vampire would want if they were looking at us from the opposite direction. What if a Vampire wanted to be human.

     Allison, a vampire who before was kept as cattle, food for vampires. The lifestyle and how the world would be if vampires did run the world. Yet Allison is different, she doesn't want to be a monster, a vampire; she just wants her old life back, a cure for the disease that makes her rabid monster. Yet apparently there is far worse creatures out in the dark than just vampires. Personally I hope there is a romance, a reason for her to be human again. Just because you don't want to be something, doesn't make the motivation that great to a reader, but love brings the that to attention and makes reading the story, that much more enjoyable.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger