Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Featured Discussion] - E-Book Ruling & Amazon

This is a new segment, Featured Discussion. Where, I am looking at heading with this segment is more of a opinion based discussion. There is some that will be true and fact, but for the main part I want a good discussion, and I want people to chime in and talk. I will make my opinion and comments known as well. However please, PLEASE do not insult or degrade anyone else.

Featured Discussion:

     As many of you may know there is a large case that was going through the courts about Apple and some of the major book publishers around the world and how e-Books are priced. Now while I don't understand what exactly caused the whole solution, but I do know that Publishers were looking to raise the price of e-Books, because right now they have little to no power in the market. E-Books frankly should be cheaper and there's not much there to really worry about. If you buy e-Books this just sets it in stone for Amazon to be your personal store to go to.



     Barnes & Noble Back to it's Roots
     Short of colluding with one another or an outside vendor like Apple, publishers have almost no pricing power. Barnes & Noble ... is the last national bookseller standing and they've recently signaled a retreat from e-books back to their brick and mortar stores.

Source: Yahoo! Finance

      I personally don't buy e-Books, unless I absolutely have to. They don't appeal to me and while I understand the concept and the purpose of e-Books there's just no enjoyment or overall pleasure of reading a book that an e-Device will give me. I lack the experience and the overall pleasure that a book gives me, and it pains me when I have to read a novella on my iPad.

      Now if you buy e-Books, the ruling in the case means that Amazon, having originally been an online book distributor, gives them nearly unlimited power of the market. Furthermore they're new Prime subscription will allow users to lend books and pass them between each other for lengths of time. So basically they are making a legal version of a peer2peer network, which everyone through a fit about a few years ago. I remember those days hearing about piracy and internet theft all over the place; my question is HOW is this different? One person buys the book, well back than what happened if one person bought a movie and decided to lend it out? Isn't that similar to how Amazon is setting themselves up? Or would there only be one token of that book (with my ID or something) on the file and I have to get it back before a second or third... person is able to borrow the book.

      Now I love the idea that one of the largest and last remaining physical bookstore is decided to wave the flag and go back to where they started and fill the niche for those who still enjoy carrying a physical book around. I think that's the smartest objective B&N could do, I can't stand Amazon at all. I have had my fair share of bad experiences with both providers, but I have had more bad experiences in a far far shorter time while I tried Amazon, and I won't go back to them at all.

      Furthermore, there are times when an e-Device just won't cut it. Look at Epic Reads' post for all the times in which reading a book would be better than just having some e-Device. I would have to add, no electricity; there is always that good storm we all have that inevitably take our power out, and than how do you read an e-Book? There are many many other situations in which having a book would be better than some e-Device. As well, just admit that in every one of those situations listed on Epic Reads that if you had an e-Device it wouldn't be that hard to steal it. I mean iPads and any e-Device isn't cheap.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger