Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Featured Discussion] - Covers That Make You Squirm

This is a new segment, Featured Discussion. Where, I am looking at heading with this segment is more of a opinion based discussion. There is some that will be true and fact, but for the main part I want a good discussion, and I want people to chime in and talk. I will make my opinion and comments known as well. However please, PLEASE do not insult or degrade anyone else.

Featured Discussion:

     I was looking at the bloggers I following and seeing what they commented on and what was grabbing their attention. Than a book caught my eye on Me My Shelf and I, I thought the book was familiar. I remember it from someplace, but the book never really caught my eye before. I was looking at this book and the post trying to understand what was wrong with the book. Well it's best to let Me My Shelf and I (Here) and I explain this, as well as the Huffington Post.





     Flowers in the Attic Synopsis
     Such wonderful children. Such a beautiful mother. Such a lovely house. Such endless terror!
It wasn't that she didn't love her children. She did. But there was a fortune at stake--a fortune that would assure their later happiness if she could keep the children a secret from her dying father.

     So she and her mother hid her darlings away in an unused attic.

     Just for a little while.

     But the brutal days swelled into agonizing years. Now Cathy, Chris, and the twins wait in their cramped and helpless world, stirred by adult dreams, adult desires, served a meager sustenance by an angry, superstitious grandmother who knows that the Devil works in dark and devious ways. Sometimes he sends children to do his work--children who--one by one--must be destroyed....

     'Way upstairs there are
     four secrets hidden.
     Blond, beautiful, innocent
     struggling to stay alive...

      That was the synopsis, and I want to give credit to both places (Me My Shelf and I and Huffington Post) and I don't want to receive any credit for this, just the opinion I am going to voice here in a few sentences. I want to thank both sites for this funny and oddly gross. The two on the front cover is supposed to be a set of siblings, brother and sister. When I first looked at the book I was a bit shocked and taken back. You know what they say about books whose illustrator appears to know nearly nothing about the book, except what the synopsis is.

      When I look at this, my mind travels to other books. There are those books that I see that have the same cover, and I am left wondering why the second book kept the cover when the first book came out. I am often puzzled by why covers are the way they are, and part of me wonders how the process happens. How a cover is chosen, and how the design is sought after and ultimately created. I would love to have an authors point of view and see just how the process is conducted and processes; maybe than would I begin to understand why authors/publishers choose the covers the way they do, and ultimately how mistakes like this book could be stopped/solved.

      If you have any books that share a similar ideology like this one, books that have covers that seemingly are gross, funny, or just downright distasteful to the book and the fans. I would like to see your books, and the covers that make you cower and scream in agony. While I am willing to admit that I to may scream and twitch in agony as well. Yet I will still watch and see the covers that are presented. :P
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger