Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #27

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      While I have been a bit behind, I have started a new habit, I am trying to get back in shape and pick up a healthy lifestyle. Reading books all day, and working at a computer doesn't do so great for the health, so I figured it was a change. However, I was looking at the blog and I needed to work on the posts and the new material. As well, I am trying to keep my twitter account active, that's not as easy as I thought it would be.

     This week on Mailbox Monday, is a series of books that I picked up recently. The first few may be a bit girly, but I will be honest, I do enjoy a good romance and a heartfelt book. I have been known to cry during books, but its not that often. I hope these books bring the same quality and have the same emotional involvement. However, that's not all the books I got, I bought a few sci-fi novels home and a few newer books, I hope you enjoy them all.

Catching Jordan
Gone Girl
Gravity
Pivot Point
Mind Games

Mailbox Pickup:



Title:Catching Jordan
   Author: Miranda Kenneally
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: December 1st, 2011

     ONE OF THE BOYS

     What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

     But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?

      Catching Jordan isn't one of my normal reads, and frankly my audience may be a bit surprised to see this on the stand this week. I am a bit girly at times and I love good emotional twisters as well as my other dystopian novels, as well. I will dispel the rumor now before it starts, No someone did not refer this book to me, I picked it up on my own.

     What inspires and makes me want to jump into this book, is that we see a girl who is in a position that normally wouldn't be allowed. I don't know of many girls that are quarterbacks, or well any. I did know a girl who did play on the football team, so we got that. However, she has made a reputation for herself as one of the guys, and I don't understand how that can be. When Ty shows up, she realizes that maybe things aren't all that similar between her and the guys. The other thing I wonder is does she play games with them? IF so where does she change?






Title: Gone Girl
   Author: Gillian Flynn
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: May 24th, 2010

     Marriage can be a real killer.

     On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

     As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

     With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.

     Here is another one of the books that I am not at all ashamed to say I picked up. After reading numerous reviews on this book I had to add it to my collection, which all raved about how great this book was and the work Flynn puts out. While I understand this book and what it entails, I am not sure it's going to be one of my favorite books to read. So why did I pick it up? Well lets get into that.

     I love the idea that Nicks wife runs off on him. Makes me immediately jump to the question of Why? I will say that's maybe 75% of the reason I picked this book up. As well, everything begins to believe it was Nick. While I don't believe that, that would be a perfect twist mid book, but wouldn't end well and I don't see how it could be pulled off. The mystery, and the suspense of trying to find that missing wife sounds good, and caught my eye.





Title:Gravity
   Author: Melissa West
   Format: Paperback
   Release Date: December 18th, 2012

     In the future, only one rule will matter:

     Don’t. Ever. Peek.

     Seventeen-year-old Ari Alexander just broke that rule and saw the last person she expected hovering above her bed — arrogant Jackson Locke, the most popular boy in her school. She expects instant execution or some kind of freak alien punishment, but instead, Jackson issues a challenge: help him, or everyone on Earth will die.

     Ari knows she should report him, but everything about Jackson makes her question what she’s been taught about his kind. And against her instincts, she’s falling for him. But Ari isn’t just any girl, and Jackson wants more than her attention. She’s a military legacy who’s been trained by her father and exposed to war strategies and societal information no one can know — especially an alien spy, like Jackson. Giving Jackson the information he needs will betray her father and her country, but keeping silent will start a war.


     Gravity, there is so much potential and ... well utter confusion in this synopsis. First off I will start with how I adore the premise of the book. Ari is falling for a boy, and what he expects of her will betray her family and her country she has grown up and adored. That sounds like a decision most of us would think twice on when a relationship starts, so I wonder what choice and decisions will be given to Ari in this book.

     The confusing part of this synopsis comes in two forms. First there is the whole alien and Jackson bit. Is he an alien or human? Two different governing societies, in which Ari's views the other as an alien? If so, than how does he end up in theirs, hovering over Ari and she doesn't report him right away? That whole bit of ifs and jumping to conclusions just doesn't bode well for me. Lastly the bit where Ari is some super trained woman of the government. I don't believe for one bit that any government would give some of the most priced secrets to a teen. That whole bit of security and falling into the wrong hands bit. I am a bit worried on this book, but it has promise.






Title: Pivot Point
   Author: Kasie West
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: February 12th, 2013

     Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

     Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?" As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms," or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

     In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

     Pivot Point is one of those books that caught my eye right away. A searcher, a more of time soothsayer of sorts, who can see into the future. I have a simple question for this title, how far can one search into the future. And is there other powers that need to be looked at. But with those powers, the responsibility of the actions and the weight of every decision comes full to bear. I honestly don't know what I would do if I would absolutely know what would happy before I made a decision and both outcomes as well.

     What I don't understand the most though about this book, is that she only sees two outcomes? What I believe and what I think most is that the future is infinite. No one decision or choice makes the future complete and exact, so in that sense wouldn't she be able to see many more than just two? I understand, if West was referring to the decision of who to live with, but somehow I doubt that is the case.





Title: Mind Games
   Author: Kiersten White
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: February 19th, 2013

     Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

     Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

     In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heart stoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

     This book, has been on my radar about as much as Pivot Point was, and it excites me over and over to see it on my shelf. The reason I am excited and enthralled about this book, is the paranormal realm of this book. Kiersten White, author of the infamous Paranormalcy series, already has the world of the paranormal down and has a good name for herself made already.

     This book brims with the sisterhood and the closeness of family, but thrown into a world in which the government forces you to go against your will that choice is clouded. Fia born with flawless instincts? What does that mean, what does it entail? That doesn't seem all too impressive when compared to that of her Sister, Annie. Annie can see into the future, and who knows what the government wants to use that power for.

     I hope for the best of all things, that this book pours with the paranormal, and yet keeps the two sisters together. The curiosity of wanting to know what the government is after is getting to me, and ultimately pushes me further to want to get this book. The Mind Games, a world in which what is being fought over is what is in our mind.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger