Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #25

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      This week I fell behind slightly. I have been under the weather, and really haven't been feeling all that good. As well when it came to do this on Sunday night I happened to be in Chicago, paying a visit to one of my favorite bookshops. Guess which one that was. I apologize for falling behind on this segment, and I will try to make it up to you when I get the chance this week! I am a bit behind so hang on.

     As well this week is rather simple, I picked up two series which I will only really go into the first books in both series, but I will display the other books with their synopsis, to show they are on my shelf now. I hope to get a few of the series out of the way so I don't have to keep talking about series I haven't started yet. But without any further waiting, I'll just jump into it!

Shiver
Linger
Forever
Virals
Seizure

Mailbox Pickup:



Title:Shiver
   Author: Maggie Stiefvater
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: August 1st, 2009

     For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without.

     Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.

     Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

      Many of you know who Maggie Stiefvater is, and I won't waste my time giving her the normal praise everyone gives her. So here is what I would say is what she's most known for. I have seen this book all over the place, and heard how wonderful it was supposed to be. It took me a long while to get into this book, because while I preach this over and over, I thought the covers were a bit childish and it was going to be a child's book, not a young adults book. However when you get into the synopsis I realized just how wrong I was.

     I am going to say this is by far the oddest synopsis I have read. Mainly because it sounds like it's going to be told in two persons perspectives; Grace who is your normal country-ish girl who seems to have her own wolf, and Sam who for the lack of a better word is a werewolf. The odd part I find with this, is that I would think that the werewolf would transform at the full moon, but in this book its winter, which is a nice twist. It turns the wolfs into something unique to this story. As well, when Sam wants to be with Grace, he has to fight against the transformation. Which will be an interesting twist on how that can be done.






Title: Linger
   Author: Maggie Stiefvater
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: July 13th, 2010

     The astonishing #1 New York Times bestseller.

     In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

     





Title:Forever
   Author: Maggie Stiefvater
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: July 12th, 2011

     then.
     When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their loved moved from curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.

     now.
     That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be kill in one final, spectacular hunt.

     forever.
     Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment - a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.






Title: Virals
   Author: Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: November 2nd, 2010

     Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

     As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.

     Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They are Virals.

     While I showed off the Temperance Brennan series earlier, this is the series that caught my eye first. I just couldn't find it at a decent price, and well ... available. While I think the Temperance Brennan series will be a great read and when I need an escape or something to cleanse my palate for a while, I'll jump into it. However, the Viral series is a completely different genre, and I am not sure if she has it in her to make this interesting, lets hope so.

     What caught my eye is the niece of the acclaimed star, but her world and knowledge is much different. I like how this book greats a sci-fi feel almost immediately, however it does have its flaws. First off a dog transmits a viral disease, and the teens change to possess some soft of animalistic traits. I am very curious to see what those traits are and how they are used, it would be a great to show how a villain uses those for personal or evil motives, while the rust have to hunt them down. Now, the issue I have with this book is that these teenagers are posed as trying to solve, this mutation. However, I don't by into that they would have the knowledge to solve this let alone what it would take find who did this or whatever. I don't see it happening, but I'm willing to give it a shot and try it.





Title: Seizure
   Author: Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 18th, 2012

     Ever since Tory Brennan and her friends rescued Cooper, a kidnapped wolf pup with a rare strain of canine parvovirus, they've turned from regular kids into a crime-solving pack. But now the very place that brought them together - the Loggerhead Island Research Institute - is out of funding and will have to shut down. That is, unless the Virals can figure out a way to save it.

     So when Tory learns of an old Charleston legend about a famous she-pirate, Anne Bonney, whose fortune was never found, she can't believe her luck - buried treasure is exactly what she needs to save the Institute on Loggerhead! Trouble is, she and her friends aren't the only ones looking for it. And this time, the Virals' special powers may not be enough to dig them out of trouble . . .
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger