Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #26

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      Okay yea, I am a bit behind again. I hope to catch up and I know I haven't caught up with my tardiness of last week. I hope to get around to it, and as well an update that should answer a lot of changes. I am going to ask your opinion in the update, and hope to see a lot of responses.

      So this week there is a few new changes coming, but still the types of books are still very similar. I hope you enjoy the books I have picked up and I hope their quality meets your expectations as well as mine. I enjoy bringing you my mailbox, and what I receive and what I am reading!

Slated
Soulbound
Boundless
Asunder
Breaking Point

Mailbox Pickup:



Title:Slated
   Author: Teri Terry
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: May 3rd, 2012

     Kyla’s memory has been erased,
     her personality wiped blank,
     her memories lost for ever.

     She’s been Slated.

     The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?

      Slated has been on my watch for a long while, it sounded like a great book. Something about how Kyla's memories are gone, and yet there is this underlying urge to get them back. I don't know if echo would be a great to describe it, yet the more I think about that word and how her past is coming back to her, it does fit. I love she's trying to guess her past, and who is the one to blame.

     Where I don't sing praises for this book is it seems pretty one-dimensional. Find out why her memory was "Slated" and who is to blame, but after that there isn't much more to the story. From what I see this book lacks a relationship of any kind, and well any other character besides the main character. I hope there is more to this book than just a character questioning her society, and ultimately herself as well. Its a great start, just needs to be more.






Title: Soulbound
   Author: Heather Brewer
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: July 13th, 2010

     Tril is a world where Barrons and Healers are Bound to each other: Barrons fight and Healers cure their Barrons' wounds in the ongoing war with the evil Graplar King. Seventeen-year-old Kaya was born a Healer, but she wants to fight. In Tril, and at Shadow Academy, where she is sent to learn to heal, it is against Protocol for Healers to fight. So Kaya must learn in secret. Enter two young men: One charming, rule-following Barron who becomes Bound to Kaya and whose life she must protect at all costs. And one with a mysterious past who seems bent on making Kaya's life as difficult as possible. Kaya asks both to train her, but only one will, and the consequences will change their lives forever.

     Soulbound focuses on a tale we've all heard over and over, free-will. Tril is the land in which Healers must heal their Barrons, and Kaya being born as a Healer she must follow her Barron around and protect him. However, that life isn't what she has planned on, and isn't interested in at all. She goes against her lands protocol and finds a way to fight.

     I love this book because it appeals on all sorts of levels. Right's in general, but if you wanted to make the leap you could say women's rights as well, but I prefer the larger picture, because it is all Healers who don't have the right to choose. Then normal caste system could be used as well because there doesn't seem to be any movement between Barron or Healers, other than what you are born into. I would go another step and say that because of Kaya in this book, I love how she strives and pushes forward to find a live that's fit for not only herself but the people of her world as well.






Title:Boundless
   Author: Cynthia Hand
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: January 22nd, 2013

     The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

     Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

     As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

     In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.


     Boundless is the final, or what I believe final bit of the Unearthly series. If you pay attention to my blog, I am currently reading Unearthly at the moment, I hope to get around to this book eventually. However let me speak of my problems with Unearthly so far. I am a good bit into the book, and I already hate the forming love triangle that is starting. She believes she's there to save someone, and yet I don't understand why she doesn't want to settle down. Okay the vision and the purpose. But still, there has to be some give and take, and while she's trying to find that person that she needs to save time is going through their fingers. I am curious what she needs to sacrifice to bring her heart peace. I am at a loss words, for how this book is going so far.







Title: Cold Fury
   Author: Jodi Meadows
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: January 29th, 2013

     DARKSOULS
     Ana has always been the only one. Asunder. Apart. But after Templedark, when many residents of Heart were lost forever, some hold Ana responsible for the darksouls–and the newsouls who may be born in their place.

     SHADOWS
     Many are afraid of Ana’s presence, a constant reminder of unstoppable changes and the unknown. When sylph begin behaving differently toward her and people turn violent, Ana must learn to stand up not only for herself but for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

     LOVE
     Ana was told that nosouls can’t love. But newsouls? More than anything, she wants to live and love as an equal among the citizens of Heart, but even when Sam professes his deepest feelings, it seems impossible to overcome a lifetime of rejection.

     In this second book in the Newsoul trilogy, Ana discovers the truth about reincarnation and will have to find a way to embrace love and make her young life meaningful. Once again, Jodi Meadows explores the extraordinary beauty and shadowed depths of the soul in a story equal parts epic romance and captivating fantasy.

     Asunder sequel to Incarnate, and while I am featuring it here, I haven't been able to get around to this book. It is on my list to get around to and all the praise that I've heard about Incarnate I'm sad its not further up on my list of books to read soon. I wish I had more time to get to the books I am interested in and the books that are highest on my list. Its sad to see the books you want to read soon and those books whose synopsis loves and speak to me each time I read them over and over, and yet that list grows larger and larger. Again I hope to get to Incarnate soon!





   Author: Kristen Simmons
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: February 12th, 2013

     The second installment in Kristen Simmons's fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series.

     After faking their deaths to escape from prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed.

     Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember and Chase are recognized and taken in by the Resistance—an underground organization working to systematically take down the government. At headquarters, all eyes are on the sniper, an anonymous assassin taking out FBR soldiers one by one. Rumors are flying about the sniper’s true identity, and Ember and Chase welcome the diversion….

     Until the government posts its most-wanted list, and their number one suspect is Ember herself.

     Orders are shoot to kill, and soldiers are cleared to fire on suspicion alone. Suddenly Ember can’t even step onto the street without fear of being recognized, and “laying low" is a joke. Even members of the Resistance are starting to look at her sideways.

     With Chase urging her to run, Ember must decide: Go into hiding…or fight back?

     Finally a book who I hated the main character for the large portion of the book. Ember, the girl who couldn't  decide what she wanted to do. She ran off numerous times to find herself in more problems than when she started. As well, Chase protects her over and over. and yet she runs from him into turmoil time and time again. I love how this book gets worst and worst as far as how much trouble Ember finds herself in. While I love how Ember evolved in this book, there was much to be desired.

     So this week I end on this brilliant note, the second book flushes out that feeling of Ember's weakness with the most wanted list. with the simple question and a common on in nearly every took, fight of flight; Ember is faced with a better decision than in the first book. While I enjoy this nature and how to bring Ember's true character out of hiding there is a better question on my mind. Who is that sniper, and while I would love to see it, it would be great it if was Embers mother. I have a suspicion, but I don't know how well it would fit in with the story.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger