Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #23

     Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past released that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Click the book title to add it to your Goodreads TBR List!


Title:  XVI
   Author: Julia Karr
   Release Date: April 2nd, 2013

     Every girl gets one.
     An XVI tattoo on the wrist--sixteen.


     Some girls can't wait to be sixteen, to be legal. Nina is not one of them. Even though she has no choice in the matter, she knows that so long as her life continues as normal, everything will be okay.

     Then, with one brutal strike, Nina's normal is shattered; and she discovers that nothing that she believed about her life is true. But there's one boy who can help--and he just may hold the key to her past.

     But with the line between attraction and danger as thin as a whisper, one thing is for sure...

     For Nina, turning sixteen promises to be anything but sweet.


My Stance:

      First of all the cover caught my eye right away. XVI with a girls face in it, and at first when I looked at this I didn't see the XVI and was looking all over for the title of the book. It wasn't until I opened the book that I found the title of the book. I love the idea of the letters, and it makes you want to open the book and find out what they mean, only to be more confused than when you started.

     XVI is the tattoo every sixteen year-old gets on their wrist. However, Nina doesn't want to be one of those girls, she wants to be normal. To me this is a metaphor for not wanting to grow up and be an adult. I don't know if that's exactly what's trying to be conveyed or if there is some other meaning; dystopian, romance, or some other genre that would pull that metaphor in another direction. There is a mention of a boy, but there's no name, only the notion that he may hold some of the past that Nina has been asking about.

     Now, the end is a twist on the whole Sweet Sixteen tradition, however I am completely confused at what the purpose of the synopsis served this book. I know the main characters name and vaguely some details about the society she lives in. However, that's about it, I am left so open on the rest of the book that I am not sure what to initially think of this book, and that scares me more than it helps me.

     So I turned to my fellow Goodreads friends and most of them rated this book LOW, within 1.0-2.0 ratings across the board. And frankly, I am not impressed with those reviews. Something is drastically wrong, and I will admit I didn't read the review at the moment now, because most of them did contain spoils that I wanted to avoid. I will pick up this book, not because I am genuinely interested in the book itself; more so on the reason this book is getting ranked so low. I want to find out for myself, and dig into this book to figure out why people are rating this book so low.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger