Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Featured Discussion] - Save the Books!

     This is a new segment, Featured Discussion. Where, I am looking at heading with this segment is more of a opinion based discussion. There is some that will be true and fact, but for the main part I want a good discussion, and I want people to chime in and talk. I will make my opinion and comments known as well. However please, PLEASE do not insult or degrade anyone else.


Featured Discussion:


     This week I have a topic that's been on my radar for a long while and it isn't until recently that I felt that something needed done. Yes I read, a lot. I wish I had more time to read and get involved in the whole reading world, but that's not why I am here. Most of you who read books like I do, I am not talking about eBooks or the digital scene, I am talking about physical books found in libraries and bookstores, and even homes all across the world; have begun to notice that the bookstores have been dwindling and there aren't as many of them around as there used to be, which is a very sad thing to happen.

     What brought this to my attention and finally made me speak was a while back James Patterson took out a series of ads in the Publishers Weekly, and I was happy enough to post it for you all to see, and I hope you enjoy it. But he took it step further and talked about what he was trying to convey, and the state books are in at the current moment. We all know books are in the process of becoming extinct; which I don't want to see at all.




     "The Federal Government has stepped in to save banks, and the automobile industry, but where are they on the important subject of books? Why are there no impassioned editorials in influential newspapers or magazines?" The PW ad closed by stating: "Spread the word about our endangered books! Peel off this wraparound cover and share it with a friend or post it at your local bookstore or library."


     First I urge you all to read the article, and talk to friends, and see what you can do to support books all across the world. This isn't a matter that's going to go away if we ignore it and don't talk about possible solutions that will actually fix the problem. I am not sure how to solve this solution myself or how I can help aid in the preservation of my beloved books.

     What I got out of the ad that Patterson put out, was that he expects the government to help bail out the libraries and bookstores around the world and that be a possible solution. My view is slightly different and more active. Personally I want to feel more involved when I am trying to make a stand. I personally go out and buy books, the books I enjoy the most stay in my collection and the others that don't meet the quality of book that I'm looking for, I donate them to a library or to someone who needs them. I make sure to pass along my books so that others can enjoy them.

     Now is that action going to save the state Bookshops and Libraries are in, more than likely not, but having the government come in and solve our issues for us, won't be the best solution. I believe that the state of libraries and books is beyond our control. I know that in today's people are constantly on the move and the people need to find a way to read the books that they are interested in. I love that people are trying to keep reading and involved in the book world.

     Now while some say the issue is the digital world and how people can't stop enough to actually read a book, well I say the exact opposite. It's not about the digital world or how easy it is to write a story. Authors don't write books to make money, that's not why they are writing and if they are, you are reading the wrong authors. All the good books are written and shown to the world, it should only be fair that we pay for the material they produce, the work they did. It's them telling a story to us, not selling us a product, and for that reason I will continue buying books the way I do. The medium of the story/novel doesn't matter, it's the message of the story and what its worth to you.

     I want you to think about this ad, and James Patterson's message. I want you all the think real hard on his question, because frankly I want to keep my libraries around and pass the books I buy on to my children. I want to take my children to a bookstore and show them where I found the best books and what authors to look for! I want to do it on my own will, not with the help of the government, but if they have to and if that would be the best solution, so be it. I want you all to put your heads together and band together for this issue. Save the books!
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger