Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #4

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!

     I was a bit slower than usual this week. I have a book signing I am going to and frankly I have begun saving a bit of money to the side so I can go. I will go into detail about the signing later, I am much looking forward to meeting some amazing authors though! Anyways, this week was a rather interesting week, a much expected Prequel being released, two new series I'm going to get into and see how it is, and than the finishing of a series I started last week. I hope you all enjoy!

Mail:


Title:The Kill Order
     Author: James Dashner
     Format: Hardback
     Release Date: August 14th, 2012

The prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.
Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.
Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there’s something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it’s mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.
Mark and Trina are convinced there’s a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they’re determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you’re worth more dead than alive.

     The Kill Order I have been looking forward to for a long long while, probably since I finished the series. There was so much to Thomas and Wicked that seemed too open to be left finished, and I am happy that James Dashner went back to address this issue. Okay well maybe he didn't go back specifically for that issue, but whatever it seems to address a gaping hole I found in the story and am curious on.

     My concern with this though, is that it has practically nothing to do with Thomas. I almost feel at the moment that there's something disjointed about The Kill Order and The Maze Runner. Its almost like they should be two series or something. We'll see when I get into it, and who knows maybe my preliminary assessment is wrong, I hope so.



Title: Gone
     Author: Michael Grant
     Format: Hardback
     Release Date: June 24th, 2008

In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.
Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else....

     I was somewhat interested in Gone and there was about the series that I was interested in and pulled me in. I just didn't know what it was, until I started looking into Michael Grant and some of his work. Way back when, when I was an actual teen, I read the Animorphs series like a religion. Imagine my shock when I found out he helped co-create the series.

     With that knowledge I couldn't help but at least try the series out. It know reminded me of when I was younger and frankly the imagination and ingenuity behind Animorphs was good for a few books but it got old after a while (doing the same thing over and over). I hope this book doesn't fall into the same trap, and that the series brings to light new and more troubling developments.



Title: Enclave
     Author: Ann Aguirre
     Format: Hardback
     Release Date: April 12th, 2011

WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE
In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.
As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.
Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first Deuce thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace.
As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known.

     Enclave, I admired this book for a long time. There was something about the cover and the brief bits of synopsis that drove me crazy. It's not that bad, what the hell am I reading crazy, but a this is a book that is so full of potential and yet there are some things about it all that has me leery and on the edge about this book. I have high hopes for this book and ultimately for the series.

     Personally I think this book will do a great job and destroying how a caste governmental system functions. As well, there seems to be a good romance that starts to build. I just hope this one is as good as the one in Under the Never Sky. I hate to make an expectation like that, but Under the Never Sky was just so good of a romance that I can't help it.



Title: The Ask and the Answer
     Author: Patrick Ness
     Format: Hardback
     Release Date: September 8th, 2009

Part two of the literary sci-fi thriller follows a boy and a girl who are caught in a warring town where thoughts can be heard — and secrets are never safe.
Reaching the end of their tense and desperate flight in THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO, Todd and Viola did not find healing and hope in Haven. They found instead their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss, waiting to welcome them to New Prentisstown. There they are forced into separate lives: Todd to prison, and Viola to a house of healing where her wounds are treated. Soon Viola is swept into the ruthless activities of the Answer, aimed at overthrowing the tyrannical government. Todd, meanwhile, faces impossible choices when forced to join the mayor’s oppressive new regime. In alternating narratives — Todd’s gritty and volatile; Viola’s calmer but equally stubborn — the two struggle to reconcile their own dubious actions with their deepest beliefs. Torn by confusion and compromise, suspicion and betrayal, can their trust in each other possibly survive?

     The Ask and the Answer just better be good. The Knife of Never Letting Go just took my breathe away and doesn't leave me with anything but a choice to have such a high expectation here. As well from some of the reviews and and the perspectives I've gained on this book, it does live up to the calling. I want to know what happens to Viola mainly, she BETTER live! This book, as well as a few others have been great inspiration and whatnot for me and how I'm writing my book (maybe one day it'll be on the shelf too).



Title: Monsters of Men
     Author: Patrick Ness
     Format: Hardback
     Release Date: September 28th, 2010

"War," says the Mayor. "At last."
Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge - the electrifying finale to the award-winning "Chaos Walking" trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war.

     I am going to finish this series and depending on how well it does I will go into A Monster Call by Patrick Ness. I may pick up that book anyways, but this series just got me invested with the first book and I pulled the trigger and picked up all the books. I am looking forward to this series and how it ends. I didn't read the synopsis (I didn't want to spoil anything in the second book), so I can't really say much about the book, other than I bought it to finish the series and here's t hoping it ends with something spectacular.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger