Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #2

Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past released that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Check the book out on Goodreads and add it to your TBR List!

Title: Marbury Lens
     Author: Andrew Smith
     Release Date: November 9th, 2011

Sixteen-year-old Jack gets drunk and is in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is kidnapped. He escapes, narrowly. The only person he tells is his best friend, Conner. When they arrive in London as planned for summer break, a stranger hands Jack a pair of glasses. Through the lenses, he sees another world called Marbury.
There is war in Marbury. It is a desolate and murderous place where Jack is responsible for the survival of two younger boys. Conner is there, too. But he’s trying to kill them.
Meanwhile, Jack is falling in love with an English girl, and afraid he’s losing his mind.
Conner tells Jack it’s going to be okay.
But it’s not.
Andrew Smith has written his most beautiful and personal novel yet, as he explores the nightmarish outer limits of what trauma can do to our bodies and our minds.

My Stance:

     I first saw this on Goodreads and frankly just enjoyed the concept. It reminded me a lot of the TV Show, Fringe. Like what would one do with they could see an alternate universe and their world was "worse" than the one they were in? I don't know what I would do, I don't know if I would enjoy it, in that the grass is greener on this side concept, or if I would push myself and help that other world no matter the risk. Knowing me though it would be a little of both, but a lot of shock and awe at first.

     I am very interested in the concept and want to get it eventually! I just hope it doesn't let me down.



Title: Witch & Wizard
     Author: James Patterson
     Release Date: December 14th, 2009

The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?

My Stance:

     I can't remember where I saw this and I haven't gotten around to picking it up. I am not that big of a fan of wizard/witch books, but after Skin Hunger and Sacred Scars, I've found myself wanting to find books that are remotely as good as those two, and keep me interested in the magical world that could be done well.

     The difference of this book compared to the rest of the wizard world, is supposedly these two bother and sister duo have no training on being a wizard. They're thrown into a prison and they learn what they are, and what they have to master if they want to save their parents and get away form the government that's trying to stop and control everything. I am very intrigued by the concept and have been for a while. I just wish I could get my hands on a copy.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger