Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #5

Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past released book that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Check the book out on Goodreads and add it to your TBR List!


Title: Die For Me
     Author: Amy Plum
     Release Date: May 10th, 2010

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.
When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.
Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

My Stance:

     There is something about this book that caught my eye, maybe it was the cover. I mean the cover has an amazing tribal elegance to it that I enjoy. Anyways that's not entirely why I added this book to the long list of wishlist titles. The synopsis proposes a love sort of like Fallen by Lauren Kate, but not exactly. Vincent seems to be sacrificing his life over and over to save lives of other people, but where does that put Kate in the middle of everything? I sincerely hope that Vincent isn't some zombie abomination, and more of an original paranormal phenomena. I just don't buy into the whole, he's a zombie but can think for himself bit; that's not what the defying bit of a zombie is; a zombie to me is someone who has died and their humanity and personality is gone, not partially there or hiding, GONE. So understanding that, I hope that I've not read too much into Vincent's character and won't be let down.



Title: City of Bones
     Author: Cassandra Clare
     Release Date: March 27th, 2007

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

My Stance:

     Okay, for one I have heard a lot of good things about this book, and it has a rather huge following that I can't deny at least trying to get into the series and hopefully I'll enjoy it. I'll probably get a lot of grief over this for the fact that I'll get into this and won't even bother or look at Twilight. It's a personal thing, I have seen the Twilight movies, and I wasn't all that impressed to feel the urge or want to read the book, that's enough for me to make a decision on that. However The Mortal Instruments doesn't seem to have a movie or something a bit quicker to make a better decision, that's not biased on other's opinions, so I'll at least put the best foot forward.

     Now, the synopsis just caught my eye. There is something original, well thought out and I hope that the series can keep up with how well this caught my eye. The one question I have in this series, will she find out who the boy was that was killed on the first night like a Harry Dresden series, or will it be more of a get swept up into another unworldly predicament? I am curious for that reason to find out, and I'm not sure which one I am hoping more for. Now Clary and Jace, there seems to be a hint of a relationship or something forming here in the synopsis, but that seems hard to focus on when, even in the synopsis, they seem to have very different personalities.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger