Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #16


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      I have been away for a while. I have to say the Christmas events kept me busy, and I have started a new job. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things, and getting things in order. I want to thank everyone out there for keeping around, and if you managed to find my site, I want to thank you and hope you enjoy what's around.

More headway! The list is slowly getting smaller, however I feel that one of the posts will be longer than the others, mainly cause I picked up a series instead of pieces of a series as they come out. This isn't that post sorry, you'll understand when the post shows up. Anyways, this is does have a few books that I've been happy to get my hands on and have been waiting on for a while. Thanks for the patience and the views.

The Treachery of
Beautiful Things
Rebel Hearts
The Girl of
Fire and Thorns
The Crown
of Embers
Beta

Mailbox Pickup:



   Author: Ruth Frances Long
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: August 16th, 2012

     A darkly compelling mix of romance, fairy tale, and suspense from a new voice in teen fiction

     The trees swallowed her brother whole, and Jenny was there to see it. Now seventeen, she revisits the woods where Tom was taken, resolving to say good-bye at last. Instead, she's lured into the trees, where she finds strange and dangerous creatures who seem to consider her the threat. Among them is Jack, mercurial and magnetic, with secrets of his own. Determined to find her brother, with or without Jack's help, Jenny struggles to navigate a faerie world where stunning beauty masks some of the most treacherous evils, and she's faced with a choice between salvation or sacrifice--and not just her own.

      This book when I first saw it was reviewed by a fellow friend of mine, and she spoke highly of this book. I was hoping to see what she was talking about, and what she was saw in this book. However, after a few of the books that I have read, I just had to read the synopsis before settling down with this book. All I have to say is, after reading the synopsis, I am either confused with how I missed this book, or am I being too over confident in this book.

      This book has layers of difficulty. I found the most intriguing point was the whole need to get closure, watching your brother taken by a forest of trees and no sign of where he went. Jenny's story of venturing into a world where her brother went into, and meeting people who she doesn't know, let alone understand. She than meets up with Jack, a faerie whose beauty masks his personality. I am not sure if Jack is someone I would trust or want to ignore and move on from. I hope Jenny and Jack start a romance in this book.






Title: Rebel Heart
   Author: Moira Young
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 30th, 2012

     Nothing is certain and no one is safe in the second book in the highly praised Dust Lands trilogy.

     It seemed so simple: Defeat the Tonton, rescue her kidnapped brother, Lugh, and then order would be restored to Saba’s world. Simplicity, however, has proved to be elusive. Now, Saba and her family travel west, headed for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But the fight for Lugh’s freedom has unleashed a new power in the dust lands, and a formidable new enemy is on the rise.

     What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants? In this much-anticipated follow-up to the riveting Blood Red Road, a fierce heroine finds herself at the crossroads of danger and destiny, betrayal and passion.

     Saba is Back! Blood Red Road was by far one of my favorites and the book ended in a way that I really hadn't thought of. I enjoyed how macho, stubborn, and even more of a man than some of the other boy or masculine characters were in that book. However Rebel Heart brings Jack back. Saba goes after what she wants now, instead of trying to save her family, her brother Lugh; Jack is the focus of her troubles this time.

      What I don't understand is what secrets Jack could hide, and I guess in the first book I expected and knew that Jack was a complete mystery most of the time. I don't want to give away the ending of Blood Red Road to those who haven't read it, but at the same time, I wonder what new power or who rose to power, because of that ending; and that power has to do what with Jack? This is my speculation and I hope I'm wrong, whoever rose to power, Jack has some affiliation to them and how they want Saba. I hope to get into this book soon, just so I can find out.






   Author: Rae Carson
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: September 20th, 2012

     Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
     Elisa is the chosen one.

     But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.

     Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

     And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

     Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

     Most of the chosen do.


     The Girl of Fire and Thorns, I had this on my wishlist for a while, and when I had a few things come about I couldn't help but pick this book up with a few others. I picked up both books in the series, so I won't talk much about the second, mainly cause I haven't read this one as of yet. Anyways Elisa, a girl who is heir to a throne, and the younger of two princesses, and the one who isn't noticed let alone believes she ever will be. I have sympathy and utmost respect for this girl, cause I believe half of those people who are in power, don't feel they are noticed, when they are actually in the spotlight all the time.

     As well, I want to explain Elisa is a girl who has expectations placed on her, and she probably too soon becomes a wife of king. Her expectations pile up as, his kingdom needs a chosen one. Her expectations in my opinion are enough to drown someone, and for that reason I am curious and cannot wait to get into this story to see how she handles what is expected of her. I want to if she falls, or if this supposed prophecy is fulfilled because a girl who isn't noticed, rises to the occasion.






   Author: Rae Carson
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: September 18th, 2012

     In the sequel to the acclaimed The Girl of Fire and Thorns, a seventeen-year-old princess turned war queen faces sorcery, adventure, untold power, and romance as she fulfills her epic destiny.

     Elisa is the hero of her country. She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone's power. That is not all she finds. A breathtaking, romantic, and dangerous second volume in the Fire and Thorns trilogy.

     The Crown of Embers, is the sequel to The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I haven't read the first book, and I don't want to spoil the ending. So I skipped this synopsis, and I want to keep it that way. I want to know what happens to Elisa, and if she's successful. I hope the best for Elisa, and hope she leads her people to more.

      The other issue I have is the relationship with her husband. Was the betrothing too soon, or was it actually worth while? I want to know Elisa, and I want to see who her husband is and what he wants out of her. If she is the chosen one, there seems to be motives for anyone, and everyone wanting her. So why can't he be one of those. It would turn a whole good lovely romantic book, into a twisted heat of anger and betrayal. I hope that's not the chase here, but I have a feeling.






Title: Beta
   Author: Rachel Cohn
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 2nd, 2012

     Elysia is created in a laboratory, born as a sixteen-year-old girl, an empty vessel with no life experience to draw from. She is a Beta, an experimental model of a teenage clone. She was replicated from another teenage girl, who had to die in order for Elysia to exist.

     Elysia's purpose is to serve the inhabitants of Demesne, an island paradise for the wealthiest people on earth. Everything about Demesne is bioengineered for perfection. Even the air induces a strange, euphoric high, which only the island's workers--soulless clones like Elysia--are immune to.

     At first, Elysia's life is idyllic and pampered. But she soon sees that Demesne's human residents, who should want for nothing, yearn. But for what, exactly? She also comes to realize that beneath the island's flawless exterior, there is an under-current of discontent among Demesne's worker clones. She knows she is soulless and cannot feel and should not care--so why are overpowering sensations cloud-ing Elysia's mind?

     If anyone discovers that Elysia isn't the unfeeling clone she must pretend to be, she will suffer a fate too terrible to imagine. When her one chance at happi-ness is ripped away with breathtaking cruelty, emotions she's always had but never understood are unleashed. As rage, terror, and desire threaten to overwhelm her, Elysia must find the will to survive.


     Beta, a book about a world of clones, or experimental clones who grow uncomfortable and appear to be starting to grow restless. As well, the other world of "normal" people seem to be in a comatose. The people, the wealthiest of the world, and living in a paradise who want nothing. As well, the air they breathe, is a drug that puts everyone into a high of some sort. I understand that you all just got that from reading the same stuff I did, but at the same time, I propose a question, I want to know why they need that drug to be high. I want to know that answer, and I want to know more about the clones

     As well, the clones are immune to the drug that's in the air. And Elysia, being a clone, shouldn't feel emotions, yet she does. Going on the idea that if someone finds out she feels, things could happen to her, what soft of things? I want to know, what would happen to Elysia if she is found out. The clones, they aren't all supposed to feel, but what happens if they all do? As well, I wonder if there is a romance that will appear out of this book; can a clone love? That is my question out of this book?
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger