Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #16

Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past released that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Click the book title to add it to your Goodreads TBR List!



Title:  Uglies
   Author: Scott Westerfeld
   Release Date: September 16th, 1996

     Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

     But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.


My Stance:

     I finished Leviathan not too long ago and one thing occurred to me at the end of the book. I realized just what a great author Scott Westerfeld is. I enjoyed Leviathan completely, great story and a great steampunk spin on reality. As well, I know the rest of the series has high hopes and whatever happens with the series, I wanted to see the other series he did.

     It wasn't only how well Leviathan did that brought me to this book, it's been on my radar for a while. A friend of mine spoke of this book and how out of the ordinary and how good the book was afterwards. So when I looked up the book and the synopsis, I was caught off guard. This book reminds me so much of Delirium in some sense, Tally like Hana at first believe that what she wants is the same thing that she's grown up to believe and made to want. The deeper turmoil of this book isn't that her friend ran away, but what the world beyond being made glamour is.

     When I first read this book, I couldn't get the song Familiar Taste of Poison by Halestorm out of my head, and I feel fits. Shay is the reason for that; she doesn't want to change, doesn't want to risk the life she has and chooses it's be safer away from the government trying to control her. Tally is her friend, and at Shay's choice has to make one of her own. One that will either leave her fighting with her friend on the outside, or turning her own friend in, and who knows what will happen to her. The premise of this book, is so grand and beyond what I expected, that I have just one question at the moment for this, I understand that girls get to be made glamorous and supermodels, but what about the men? Do they all look like the debated revolting/hunky twilight characters, or like the movie actors like Jason Statham? Just something to think about.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger