Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #14

Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past released that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Click the book title to add it to your Goodreads TBR List!



Title:  Neverwhere
   Author: Neil Gaiman
   Release Date: September 16th, 1996

     Richard Mayhew is an unassuming young businessman living in London, with a dull job and a pretty but demanding fiancee. Then one night he stumbles across a girl bleeding on the sidewalk. He stops to help her - and the life he knows vanishes like smoke.

     Several hours later, the girl is gone too. And by the following morning Richard Mayhew has been erased from his world. His bank cards no longer work, taxi drivers won't stop for him, his landlord rents his apartment out to strangers. He has become invisible, and inexplicably consigned to a London of shadows and darkness - to a city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, that exists entirely in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere.

     For this is the home of Door, the mysterious girl whom Richard rescued in the London Above. A personage of great power and nobility in this murky, candlelit realm, she is on a mission to discover the cause of her family's slaughter, and in doing so preserve this strange underworld kingdom from the malevolence that means to destroy it. And with nowhere else to turn, Richard Mayhew must now join the Lady Door's entourage in their determined - and possibly fatal - quest.

     For the dread journey ever-downward - through bizarre anachronisms and dangerous incongruities, and into dusty corners of stalled time - is Richard's final hope, his last road back to a "real" world that is growing disturbingly less real by the minute.


My Stance:

     This book is an older book, a lot older than some of the books I have listed on this blog and what I normally read. However, this book has come highly recommended from a friend of mine, and I'm holding her to her world. I look at recommendations and want every recommendation to be a good solid 4.0 rating or higher, so I have extremely high hopes for this book. I know that's not fair to place on a book, but if I was to recommend a book to anyone it would have to be at least a 4.0 or higher rating for me to feel justified recommending it to my fans or friends, and that's what I expect in return. Nothing against the book, it's more of recommendation expectation.

     Now to the book, I am confused on the synopsis and it does have me interested. I am a little confused on the setting. I understand it's in London, so lets get that stupidity out of the way. What's got me worked up, is the alternate universe. Is it sort of like the TV show Fringed, how there is a similar London just an alternate universe where similar choices led to a different outcome. That's the main issue that I'm curious on with this book.

     As well, the character Door opens the world for Richard I understand that her name sis a very poor metaphor. However, her character just doesn't stop there she goes forward and changes his life. I just don't foresee the life that Richard is forced into normally without saving Door. As well, Door has this mission she needs to discover regarding her family's death, and there is just enough information to make me curious what it is, but at the same time it leaves me hanging so I want to know and read the book.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger