Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Shatter Me
   Author: Tahereh Mafi
   Series: #1 - Shatter Me
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: Novemeber 15th, 2011
   My Rating: 3.0 out of 5.0

     Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

     The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

     The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

     Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

My Review:

     Shatter Me I enjoyed when  I started the book, and something about a girl who can kill anyone she touches just sounded involved. I wanted to see how she took this power and made it her own, and the story took a completely different turn. As well, I wanted to see how she handled this power or ability or however you look at it, and what it did to her emotionally. There is just so much emotional and personal trauma that envelopes this book.

     Juliette was orphaned by her parents and the whole experience of her power eats away at her. I loved this sheltered girl who fears her power and doesn't want to possess this power. She views her ability as a curse and how she never wanted to hurt anyone. As well, the book is done almost as if she, herself had written it; occasionally there are words that are written than crossed out like she didn't mean to write, or doesn't believe she feels that way.

     As well the government in this book is a bit hard to discern, I think is a paranormal dystopia, or like an X-men type genre. I like how her power adds depth to her character, but at the same time it's the one part that draws the government to her. I understand that they want her power, but the reason for that power really never showed up. I would be curious to know what they want it, and what the purpose she would serve them. Okay, I understand that fear would be a good explanation, but I want more out of it, and I won't accept that as a good reason.

     As well, the characters in this book were odd. I wanted to know more. Adam Kent seems to have more mystery to him that I first believed. I knew when he showed up there was going to be this whole Article 5, I care about you and I'm here to save you. But when the book was closing, I don't know what it was about his character, but there seemed to be more to him and what Juliette had to choose between. I'm not saying that it's the power or him, but maybe he has a power as well. I'll have to wait and find out, but we'll see in the next book.

     I picked up Destroy Me, because I wanted to find out more about the other character Warner. I am not that fond of his persona; he just seems like a creepy stalker that hides in the bushes and waits on you to go to the bathroom. He's just so odd and unusual and why he's after Juliette is more of an obsession, than a good reason for what the Reestablishment could use her for. And I'll probably go more into depth about him, but the contrast between Warner and Juliette is so different, one is order and the other is complete chaos or tends to go as things come. It's just a complete stark difference that it's very refreshing.

     I was curious on this book, and while it was just decent, I will continue the series. I am still curious on the characters and where the plot will lead them on in the future. While I will moderately recommend this book to those who like a dystopia that has some paranormal features with it, this is a good example, but it's not one of my favorites and I hope the rest of the series can improve on what the book did just moderately okay.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger