Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #15


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      I have been away for a while. I have to say the Christmas events kept me busy, and I have started a new job. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things, and getting things in order. I want to thank everyone out there for keeping around, and if you managed to find my site, I want to thank you and hope you enjoy what's around.

I bring more headway on the books that I have received, and I bring good news. I am working on a possible update to the signed books pages. I picked up new signed books from Andersons Bookshop in Naperville, IL. I love that place and I could get stuck there all day. Anyways without delaying anymore, I give you more books out of the mailbox.

The Evolution
of Mara Dyer
The Blessed
Alice in Zombieland
Crewel
Breathe

Mailbox Pickup:



   Author: Michelle Hodkin
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 23th, 2012

     Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

     She can’t.

     She used to think her problems were all in her head.

     They aren’t.

     She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

     She’s wrong.

     In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

      Normally I wouldn't be into this sort of book based off the synopsis. I find fault in all if it. Firstly everyone has secrets, even from the people you love. I hate to say it, but no couple, marriage, or even friendship is completely honest and open. Everyone needs their personal space. I hate how people assume or expect their significant other is completely open. Now before I get into a debate here, I have to say that the more serious issues need to be addressed, but some minor issues aren't as needed and can be ignored or found out when they become more pertinent.

     What got me into the book, was I've seen a few bloggers and fellow reviewers looking at the first book and this book giving it some praise that I wouldn't normally have thought. So the contemporary romance side of me is screaming to try this book. For that reason I did pick it up and will get around to both at some point.






Title: The Blessed
   Author: Tonya Hurley
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: September 25th, 2012

     From the author of the New York Times bestselling ghostgirl series, the start to a captivating and haunting teen trilogy about three girls who become entangled with an enigmatic boy—a boy who believes he is a saint.What if martyrs and saints lived among us? And what if you were told you were one of them?

     Meet Agnes, Cecilia, and Lucy. Three lost girls, each searching for something. But what they find is Beyond Belief.

     The Blessed comes from a book club that I partake in, and the majority of the group seemed to enjoy this book. From what I get out of the synopsis is the book looks at Saints and Martyrs and claims that one of the girls is one of them. I don't quite understand how this has to do with a story. In fact I don't understand how exactly this is a story. What's it mean to be a Martyr or a Saint in their world? What do they have to do if they are as Saint as opposed to the Martyr?

     What caught my eye, not because I have this book signed, is there is just so many questions that I have to read it to figure out the answer to all my annoying questions. Normally questions like this would bug people, and maybe some of you will stop reading my reviews because of how stupid the reason is, but I just have to get my hands on it. I want the answers!






   Author: Gena Showalter
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: September 25th, 2012

     She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

     Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

     Her father was right. The monsters are real….

     To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies…


     I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
     I'd tell my sister no.
     I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
     I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
     Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
     I'd tell them I love them.
     I wish... Yeah, I wish.


     Alice in Zombieland, this is one of those books that I just loved Alice in Wonderland, which was basically about a girl in a world she knew almost nothing about. This book does a similar thing, Alice in a world of zombies. Now from what I've read, the undead weren't supposed to exist, and most of all some of the people closest to her are dead. Alice is living her life in a world that's changed completely in a moments noticed, and with her world completely upside she's forced to trust people she's wouldn't normally.

     In this book, Alice is one of those stories that I didn't think would catch my eye, but a friend of mine said it was really good and when I got offered a chance at the book, I couldn't pass it up. As well, I find myself constantly looking at it on my shelf wondering why I haven't read it exactly. I need to get around it to, as well.






Title: Crewel
   Author: Gennifer Albin
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 26th, 2012

     Enter a tangled world of secrets and intrigue where a girl is in charge of other’s destinies, but not her own.

     Sixteen-year-old Adelice Lewys has always been special. When her parents discover her gift—the ability to weave the very fabric of reality—they train her to hide it. For good reason, they don’t want her to become a Spinster — one of the elite, beautiful, and deadly women who determine what people eat, where they live, how many children they have, and even when they die.


     Thrust into the opulent Western Coventry, Adelice will be tried, tested and tempted as she navigates the deadly politics at play behind its walls. Now caught in a web of lies and forbidden romance, she must unravel the sinister truth behind her own unspeakable power. Her world is hanging by a thread, and Adelice, alone, can decide to save it — or destroy it.

     Crewel has been on my list of a long long while, maybe shortly after I started it. I loved the cover, it just pops and there's so much color and its very pleasing to the eye. As well there was something about a girl who could weave the fate of everyone else, but herself that just sounds weird and I wanted to know more about the book at that point. Crewel even goes above that and throws it into a world where she isn't supposed to be some  Spinster. I understand that the perception of Spinsters are as explained as you've probably read, but at the same time there has to be their flip side to that as well.

     Adelice, I loved that name off the bat, gets forced to a world where she needs to make her decision on what she wants to do. I don't understand how she gets involved in politics and at the age of 16, I don't understand why any girl at that age would want to. And I wonder who her forbidden romance is with, I wish I knew more about the other characters in this book.






Title: Breathe
   Author: Sarah Crossan
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 2nd, 2012

     Inhale. Exhale. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe . . . The world is dead. The survivors live under the protection of Breathe, the corporation that found a way to manufacture oxygen-rich air.

     Alina has been stealing for a long time. She's a little jittery, but not terrified. All she knows is that she's never been caught before. If she's careful, it'll be easy. If she's careful.

     Quinn should be worried about Alina and a bit afraid for himself, too, but even though this is dangerous, it's also the most interesting thing to happen to him in ages. It isn't every day that the girl of your dreams asks you to rescue her.

     Bea wants to tell him that none of this is fair; they'd planned a trip together, the two of them, and she'd hoped he'd discover her out here, not another girl.

     And as they walk into the Outlands with two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, everything they believe will be shattered. Will they be able to make it back? Will they want to?


     First off, manufacture oxygen-rich air? That just sounds like a really bad start to a dystopian novel, so I hope it gets better. Okay so the world is encased in oxygen environment produced by a company named Breathe. I am wondering who exactly is the main character in this story. There seems to be at least three different characters, and I hope that the book picks one of them and sticks with it. I don't know what is with the trend of swapping characters every chapter or in the middle and hoping that it will make sense and have a point.

     For any writer who wants to know how to do good character descriptions, and introductions for characters in any synopsis, this wound be a great place to look at. I love how the three characters are introduced and their objective for what they want is neatly laid out. As well the dilemma of what seems to be the main conflict or issue through the book. I would love to see how this conflict evolves, or maybe see if it does more than just that. As well, I'm curious to see the main issue/conflict that seems to show up, and how that involves and affects the three characters as well. Such a great, but frustrating synopsis here.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger