Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #14


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      I have been away for a while. I have to say the Christmas events kept me busy, and I have started a new job. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things, and getting things in order. I want to thank everyone out there for keeping around, and if you managed to find my site, I want to thank you and hope you enjoy what's around.

Anyways, here's more headway on my ever growing list of Mailbox and what I've gotten since December. I would do longer posts, but I don't feel it gives the books credit and what's on my list of books to get to. As well I would rather do smaller posts, cause it seems easier to read and doesn't make the page look too long and hard to figure out how much is left or where you actually left off.

Ashfall
Ashen Winter
Pushing the Limits
The Scorpio Races
The Raven Boys

Mailbox Pickup:



Title:Ashfall
   Author: Mike Mullin
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 11th, 2011

     Many visitors to Yellowstone National Park don’t realize that the boiling hot springs and spraying geysers are caused by an underlying supervolcano, so large that the caldera can only be seen by plane or satellite. And by some scientific measurements, it could be overdue for an eruption.

     For Alex, being left alone for the weekend means having the freedom to play computer games and hang out with his friends without hassle from his mother. Then the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, plunging his hometown into a nightmare of darkness, ash, and violence. Alex begins a harrowing trek to seach for his family and finds help in Darla, a travel partner he meets along the way. Together they must find the strength and skills to survive and outlast an epic disaster.

      Ashfall has been on my watch-list for a long time, more accurately when I first started forming a watch-list this book has been on it. I have always had this fascination with the volcano sitting underneath Yellowstone. As the theory of what would happen if it erupted and what would happen to everyone if it did. I am glad that a book took that angle and I'm ultimately happy to hear someone's perspective.

     When I read this book, at first I wondered how old Alex would be. Okay I get it, he's a teen because of the genre; I guess a better question would be, How mature would Alex be. The reason I ask, is this could be a coming of age tale where he needs to find his family and a relationship blossoms out of disaster and a need to survive.

     Or it could be a dystopia novel, that I don't quiet understand how it would fall in that category. The reason I say that is because it really doesn't have a point where the government is either out of control or there is some underlying oppression that needs to be resolved. There just isn't any equality in this book that would make it a good dystopia. I hope for all hopes in this book that it's not.






Title: Ashen Winter
   Author: Mike Mullin
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 16th, 2012

     It’s been over six months since the eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano. Alex and Darla have been staying with Alex’s relatives, trying to cope with the new reality of the primitive world so vividly portrayed in Ashfall, the first book in this series. It’s also been six months of waiting for Alex’s parents to return from Iowa. Alex and Darla decide they can wait no longer and must retrace their journey into Iowa to find and bring back Alex’s parents to the tenuous safety of Illinois. But the landscape they cross is even more perilous than before, with life-and-death battles for food and power between the remaining communities. When the unthinkable happens, Alex must find new reserves of strength and determination to survive.

     Ashen Winter being the sequel to Ashfall, I wanted to stay away from the description but I couldn't stop myself. Being six months in the future makes this story more problematic. I dislike time jumps for the simple reason there's the gap that needs addressed. What happened in those six months? There is just so many questions left unanswered, but than again I haven't read the first book either.

     I want this book to be better than Ashfall, as any author, reader, or fellow blogger (about books) should. If you don't want a sequel to be better than the previous, I believe you don't have the right motives or goals. When Mike describes this trek to find their parents more perilous than the first; I am wondering why that would be? I mean what happened to the government, wouldn't you think that FEMA would help those victims, there is issues that need addressed in this book. And again I am asking too many questions for this book, already.






   Author: Katie McGarry
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: July 31st, 2012

     No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

     Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


     Pushing the Limits came from a downpoint in my life. I bought this book not too long ago, and shortly after my girlfriend dumped me. I was looking for a good romance, and I'm not saying that because of the whole dumping thing is why I picked up this book. Truth be told this book has all the points to a good romance that I find attractive. And the cover does a great job initiating, and even gives a good show of what type of book this is going to be. I love the cover.

     Echo I have to when I read the synopsis, I did imagine her as a red head. And ultimately I am curious on what happened to to cause her to drop in popularity. As well I am curious on Noah. I would love to see what he's like, I usually see that sort of name used in a religious context. I just don't see Noah have the personality that's described, but maybe that's the whole point to Noah and Echo starting a relationship, two broken people or two people with secrets.






   Author: Maggie Stiefvater
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 18th, 2011

     It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

     At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

     Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

     Maggie Stiefvater is one of those authors that I keep an eye on. She's a great author, she's put out some great books, and even more they seem to get more praise and comparisons than most other books that I pick up. It's true that some of those opinions and comparisons may not be altogether the best to go on, but I still like to see what the community is after and what peaks peoples interests.

     When I first looked at this book it was compared to The Hunger Games, and I ultimately failed to see the connection. Lately its been compared to the new Divergent and I fail to see that. I will be honest I loved both series and when bloggers and others compared this book to both, I couldn't pass it up.

     After reading they synopsis, The Scorpio Races does have this Hunger Games quality with the races taking place. However, I have feel the better perspective is how Puck is going to be the first girl in the race. The other issue I am concerned with this book, is how are the races dangerous? I mean people die during these events, why? I mean its horse races, the worst that can happen is people get ran over. I see people getting hurt, seriously hurt, but I don't by killed.






   Author: Maggie Stiefvater
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: September 18th, 2012

     “There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve," Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him."

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shivertrilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.


     Here is another book by Maggie Stiefvater, and I am not sure why exactly I picked this up other than it was signed. When I first heard the title to this book, I pretty much new part of the book. I thought it would be about some college girl who was minding her own business and wants to stay away from these boys at another college. Its a pretty bad initial impression, but hey you have to give me some credit, it was sort of close.

     The whole seeing spirits thing has me interested. I am trying to figure out if it's spirits as in ghosts or its more of a natural spirit soft of thing. Blue than is attracted to one of The Raven Boys. I don't understand that, or the motives behind the guy Blue is attracted to. There just is so many good intriguing questions that come to  mind. I love how there is enough information to bring questions and peak my interests and leave me hanging so I want to pick up the book. I love this synopsis.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger