Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #18

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      I have been away for a while. I have to say the Christmas events kept me busy, and I have started a new job. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things, and getting things in order. I want to thank everyone out there for keeping around, and if you managed to find my site, I want to thank you and hope you enjoy what's around.

I know I had a week off, the holiday and all, I was a bit overwhelmed with work and all and I needed a week off to get things straight in my real life and with this blog. I am running out of books that I have read to conduct reviews on a weekly basis, or more accurately; I am reviewing books faster than I am reading them. So in that sense I have been looking at other avenues to be involved here, and other ways to format this blog and keep a familiar fan-base. Keep in touch and you will see some changes.

Fever
Through to You
Mercy
Hallowed
Lullaby

Mailbox Pickup:



Title:Fever
   Author: Lauren DeStefano
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: February 21st, 2012

     Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

     Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

     The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

     In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

      Fever is one of those books that I haven't read the first book. I don't exactly want to read the synopsis of the sequel to a book I haven't started but I have the fascination to get started and get through. As well, a few fellow bloggers have spoken about how they enjoyed Lauren's work.  As well, Rhine is a character that has depth and a unique character. However the plot is where I am lost; which may be a problem I have of not reading the first book. I want to get into the series and see just how Rhine deals with the turmoil and the trouble she's in.






   Author: Emily Hainsworth
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 2nd, 2012

     Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. Viv was the last good thing in his life: helping him rebuild his identity after a career-ending football injury, picking up the pieces when his home life shattered, and healing his pain long after the meds wore off. And now, he'd give anything for one more glimpse of her. But when Cam makes a visit to the site of Viv's deadly car accident, he sees some kind of apparition. And it isn't Viv.

     The apparition's name is Nina, and she's not a ghost. She's a girl from a parallel world, and in this world, Viv is still alive. Cam can't believe his wildest dreams have come true. All he can focus on is getting his girlfriend back, no matter the cost. But things are different in this other world: Viv and Cam have both made very different choices, things between them have changed in unexpected ways, and Viv isn't the same girl he remembers. Nina is keeping some dangerous secrets, too, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with who this Viv has become and the part Nina played in his parallel story, he's forced to choose—stay with Viv or let her go—before the window closes between them once and for all.

     Through to You is a book I continue to fall in love with, every time I read the synopsis. I love the whole Fringe aspect of this world or worlds. I don't know what the price would be for trying to get your girlfriend back from another parallel universe. I am not in love or even have a girlfriend, so I don't know how desperate one would have to be to feel the urge to enter another universe to get someone they loved back. So I expect Viv to be a rather thought invoking and deep character to get to know, and I won't back down from that.

     I want to make a guess on the ending of this book. Camden realizes that the girl he loved isn't the same (of course) and eventually will give her up. However the reality in that world gives Nina, a girl who seeks out her love who died on her, Camden. A trade of sorts, but the question I have if that's close or even remotely close whose reality or universe do they head off to?






Title:Mercy
   Author: Rebecca Lim
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: May 17th, 2011

     A fallen angel haunted by her past. Yearning for her immortal beloved. Forever searching for answers.Who will show her Mercy?

     Mercy has lost herself. She can’t count how many times she’s “woken up" in a new body, and assumed a new life, only to move on again and again. During the day she survives in the human world on instinct and at night her dreams are haunted by him. Mercy’s heart would know him anywhere. But her memory refuses to cooperate.

     But this time is different. When Mercy wakes up she meets Ryan, an eighteen year old reeling from the loss of his twin sister who was kidnapped two years ago. Everyone else has given up hope, but Ryan believes his sister is still alive. Using a power she doesn’t fully comprehend, Mercy realizes that Ryan is right. His sister is alive and together they can find her. For the first time since she can remember, Mercy has a purpose; she can help. So she doesn’t understand why the man in her dreams cautions her not to interfere. But as Ryan and Mercy come closer to solving the dark mystery of his sister’s disappearance, danger looms just one step behind.

     Will Mercy be able to harness her true self and extraordinary power in time?

     The first in a dazzling new series, Mercy masterfully weaves romance, mystery and the supernatural into a spell-binding tale.

     Mercy reminded me of a twist between Every Day by David Levithan and the Fallen series by Lauren Kate. An angel who doesn't have a form, and wakes up in a different person's body every day; that's not exactly how I thought the world would be or how Angels would persist. However Mercy is trying to find purpose, and I don't buy that she is just a teenager. I thought the whole has white father wings and typical halo or angeleque features would be present, nope. I like the twist though.

     I was looking at this book and thought immediately of an eternal angel hundreds of years old who would be looking to help those around her. Heling Ryan look and save his twin sister. With a person in her dreams that continues talking to her, and warns her of the danger that looms ahead of her. A big concern of mine is the whole lack of character that Fallen had, and I look forward to seeing if this surpasses that. I greatly hope so.






Title: Hallowed
   Author: Cynthia Hand
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: January 17th, 2012

     For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.

     Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

     In this compelling sequel to Unearthly, Cynthia Hand captures the joy of first love, the anguish of loss, and the confusion of becoming who you are.

     Cynthia Hand comes back with a sequel to Unearthly and I haven't read it yet. Sorry everyone. But I won't let you down. I am on my list of books to read and I am working ever so hard to get through the books. I need some good quality time alone to get through them all and with movies coming out this weekend, I wish there was more time. Clara... I believe there is a place on the shelf for all of your books, and I can't wait to get around to reading about you first hand. I know a few of my fellow bloggers have abandoned you, but I won't. I will finish the series!






Title: Lullaby
   Author: Amanda Hocking
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: November 27th, 2012

     Harper only wanted a safe, normal life. But when her younger sister Gemma runs off with a dangerous clique of beautiful girls, Penn, Thea, and Lexi, everything changes. Vowing to get her sister back no matter what the cost, Harper must face dangers unlike any she's ever experienced. Fortunately, she has Daniel by her side, a gorgeous guy who's devoted to helping her find her sister—and who's immune to the girls' dark powers.

     While Harper searches for her sister, Gemma struggles to adjust to her new life. Gemma's powers are growing by the day, and the longer she lives with her new "sisters," the harder it is to resist entering their magical world. It's a realm both dark and beautiful, and where she's plagued by strange hungers and unspeakable needs. Just as she's drifting far away from her old life, Harper and Daniel find her...but no one can deny how much she's changed. All she wants is to return to her family and the mortal world, but how can she do that when she's become something else entirely—and will they still love her once they learn the truth?

     Lullaby being  the sequel to Wake, I picked this up on the fly because I find a good copy if it signed! I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. As well, when I first picked up Wake, I thought it would be a good short read when I had some time off and a good book to add to my collection. I have looked at the synopsis a few times and each time I hope the best for Harper and wished that her character would be better than the typical Twilight or Fallen character. As well in the paranormal world, I hope they keep the whole third wheel relationship out of the picture.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger