Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #41

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


     So while the world was continuing to spin, and while the books keep coming in. I finished a book that I've been working on for a while, A Touch Mortal, and frankly the review will be delightful. Furthermore, I have been playing with a test of new site design, and while I love the current one. I looked at various templates and designs, I haven't found one that I like. I'm looking for a three column (left and right navigation bars), dark blue/green with a similar setup to what I have now. If anyone has any suggestions or places they feel would be better that I look at I am free, send me a message.

Quintana
of Charyn
Arclight
The Fault
in our Stars
Tempest
The Rules

Mailbox Pickup:



Title: Quintana of Charyn
   Author: Melina Marchetta
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: April 23rd, 2013

     The climactic conclusion of Printz Award winner Melina Marchetta’s epic fantasy trilogy!

     Separated from the girl he loves and has sworn to protect, Froi and his companions travel through Charyn searching for Quintana and building an army that will secure her unborn child’s right to rule. While in the valley between two kingdoms, Quintana of Charyn and Isaboe of Lumatere come face-to-face in a showdown that will result in heartbreak for one and power for the other. The complex tangle of bloodlines, politics, and love introduced in Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exiles coalesce into an engrossing climax in this final volume.


     Quintana of Charyn has been on my list since I first started looking at it. I have read Finnikin of the Rock and loved the book instantly. There is so much emotion and creative worldscape in the book, that I would love to see more of this series. I loved the over premise of the book, and while I had my doubts on the book when I started it, I shouldn't have at all. Melina Marchetta can create a masterpiece out of thin air.

     I wasn't sure if I would like Finnikin because of it being a fantasy, and being my first fantasy I wasn't sure what I was getting into. Finnikin may be the one book in which I will hold book to in this genre, and instantly I picked up Froi of the Exiles. Their world, and the compassion and emotion Marchetta instills in her books and this is no exception. If you haven't read Finnikin of the Rock, by all means pick it up, you won't be let down.






Title:  Arclight
   Author: Josin L. McQuein
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: April 23rd, 2013

     No one crosses the wall of light . . . except for one girl who doesn’t remember who she is, where she came from, or how she survived. A harrowing, powerful debut thriller about finding yourself and protecting your future—no matter how short and uncertain it may be.

     The Arclight is the last defense. The Fade can’t get in. Outside the Arclight’s border of high-powered beams is the Dark. And between the Light and the Dark is the Grey, a narrow, barren no-man’s-land. That’s where the rescue team finds Marina, a lone teenage girl with no memory of the horrors she faced or the family she lost. Marina is the only person who has ever survived an encounter with the Fade. She’s the first hope humanity has had in generations, but she could also be the catalyst for their final destruction. Because the Fade will stop at nothing to get her back. Marina knows it. Tobin, who’s determined to take his revenge on the Fade, knows it. Anne-Marie, who just wishes it were all over, knows it.

     When one of the Fade infiltrates the Arclight and Marina recognizes it, she will begin to unlock secrets she didn’t even know she had. Who will Marina become? Who can she never be again?

     Arclight is one of the books that I got a message about and looked it over. While I haven't been able to really sit down and look at the book, I bought it. The shiny cover attracted me to it, and I know that's bad to say. Yet when I look over the synopsis I am curious to see the world the book lives in.

     Arclight is some defense to what? I am not sure what the world is, and the description of who society is and the enemy as well. I am looking at the synopsis and find myself looking over and over through it. The Dark, the Light, and the Grey; we have neutral colors that seem to imply some sort of persona behind them. Then there is the Fade that seems to be an enemy, yet there is no description of who, or what they are. I'm worried that the characterizations won't be all that great, or something will feel as if it's missing.

     Marina, supposedly is found between the Light and Dark, in the Grey, whatever that means. She's the first of her kind, someone who's made it past the supposed defense. However, she doesn't remember who she is or the past she has. While I am looking at this, I am left wondering what her characterization is. because she doesn't have memory there isn't much there to understand or judge just what kind of character she will be.






Title: The Fault in Our Stars
   Author: John Green
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: January 10th, 2012

     Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

     The Fault in our Stars was a book I picked up on a whim. While now I wish I would have gotten the B&N special edition, I don't regret having the book. I have heard a lot of good reviews and comments about this book, the first was from Cousin. She is quite younger than me, and I don't see her often, and while I never thought she would be one to read a book like this, it surprised me. I wasn't going to let her opinion go to waste, and I knew when she told me about the book and how much she appreciated the story, that I would have to pick it up.

     I was interested in seeing how a terminal Hazel, finds a friend. It's not what Hazel was looking for, in fact this is the last thing she's expected. Her entire life has been terminal, it's always been the last day for her. So when a dream comes to her, I wonder just what will happen, and what will happen to her. I hope this book holds up to the expectations and the reviews/comments that I've heard.






Title:  That Summer
   Author: Sarah Dessen
   Format: Paperback
   Release Date: June 2012

     The more things change...

     As far as Haven is concerned, there's just too much going on.

     Everything is changing, and she's not sure where she fits in.

     Then her sister's old boyfriend shows up, sparking memories of the summer when they were all happy and everything was perfect...

     But along the way, Haven realizes that sometimes change is a good thing.

     That Summer by Sarah Dessen, and after being accused of not being a good well-rounded reader. That I wouldn't read a chick-lit book, I read Keeping the Moon by her and enjoyed the book. So I have been picking up more and more Dessen books, the more the merrier right? I love a good romance and a good self-discovery. So when it comes to Dessen's novels it isn't too far off that from what I would enjoy.

     What I don't understand is that what message this book is trying to convey. I understand that Haven is going through her teen years, or the part in life when things change all around us. We are left wondering if the light at the end of the tunnel will still be there, and everything will be all right. But what her sisters ex-boyfriend? I hate to say it, but I hope they don't have a romance, it just doesn't bode well. I mean sisters/brothers would have an unspoken agreement that old boyfriends/girlfriends are off limits. So there is a sense of immorality here for me.






Title: The Rules
   Author: Stacey Kade
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: April 23rd, 2013

     1. Never trust anyone.

     2. Remember they are always searching.

     3. Don’t get involved.

     4. Keep your head down.

     5. Don’t fall in love.

     Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project."

     But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…

     The Rules is a hard book to find, on Goodreads. I looked for a long while after I picked the book up on a local Barnes and Noble. I loved the concept of this book, Ariane Tucker reminds me of a Lily from The Farm. Much like The Farm, Ariane has rules to live by and they've kept her alive thus far. Yet there is a better reason, Ariane was created and isn't entirely human. So she's on the run with an adoptive father, trying to hide in plain sight and carve out a life of their own.

     I love this book because some prank goes wrong and puts her in front stage. One person notices her, Zane who just happens to be the police chief's son. Her whole world gets turned upside down, and while she's front stage her rules change and it's too soon to tell if they will be for the better or worse. I want to see a good romance with Ariane and Zane, but I don't want her caught either. It's too simple, if that was the case, but running away with him would be the same. There needs to be something original, and that's what I hope to find, something that Stacey Kade can pull out of the woodwork, and make happen. 
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger