Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #42

Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past release that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Click the book title to add it to your Goodreads TBR List!



Title: Above
   Author: Leah Bobet
   Release Date: April 1st, 2012

     Matthew has loved Ariel from the moment he found her in the tunnels, her bee’s wings falling away. They live in Safe, an underground refuge for those fleeing the city Above—like Whisper, who speaks to ghosts, and Jack Flash, who can shoot lightning from his fingers.

     But one terrifying night, an old enemy invades Safe with an army of shadows, and only Matthew, Ariel, and a few friends escape Above. As Matthew unravels the mystery of Safe’s history and the shadows’ attack, he realizes he must find a way to remake his home—not just for himself, but for Ariel, who needs him more than ever before.


My Stance:

     Above is a fairy tale of a story, and while I enjoy the story and the premise of the book. I am a bit worried about the plot of the story. It's basically a boy is in love with girl, girl needs boy for some reason or another, and together they need to save the world together. It's typical and predictable. While I don't understand who exactly Ariel is and who she is. I am curious to know who she is and what the world they live in is like.

     I find even the name of the place they live rather dismally ironic, Safe. I first looked at this book and thought the world of the synopsis. I thought the book would be about this fairy tale superheroes who would be saving the day from all these dark shadowy creatures. I am looking forward to reading this book, and while I enjoy the sights and sounds of the synopsis it's a bit too conventional. It's too normal, and too overly done that I began to wonder what the book would be like. I am curious on the book, mainly because the bias on enjoying good fairy tales, but I can't expect this book to be all flowers and sunshine either.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger