Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Featured Discussion] - Putting A Bad Book Down

This is a new segment, Featured Discussion. Where, I am looking at heading with this segment is more of a opinion based discussion. There is some that will be true and fact, but for the main part I want a good discussion, and I want people to chime in and talk. I will make my opinion and comments known as well. However please, PLEASE do not insult or degrade anyone else.

Featured Discussion:

     At first I thought the book I was reading I could make it through it, and the more I pressed on the more I fell into denial. I pushed further, trying to convince myself that I could make it through the book. I thought just a few more pages and I would be gripped beyond any and all control and want to read more and more until I couldn't put the book down. I looked and scoured those pages trying to grab onto anyone or anything. I couldn't the book drug through me and seemed to drag me along its own dull boring plot. It would be the first book that I encountered that I wanted and will to put down.


     Stage 2: Anger
     “How can this #!@$&*! book be so #!@$&*! dull?” you ask yourself. You decide to Google the title in hopes of discovering some fascinating analysis of it that will suddenly make it riveting, compelling, a real page-turner. But instead you learn a tidbit such as the following: David Copperfield isn’t the title Dickens gave to his novel. No, he planned to call it, The Personal History, Adventures, Experience and Observation of David Copperfield the Younger of Blunderstone Rookery (Which He Never Meant to Publish on Any Account). And that’s when you start yelling about being misled and how obviously you never would have attempted to read something with that title. Soon you’re directing your anger at characters in the novel and muttering things like, “Ham Peggoty—what the $#@ kind of name is that?” and trying to rip out the pages of the book, which proves to be a little challenging, as you are reading it on your NOOK.

Source: Jull Boyd on Barnes and Noble

      We all have moments or a book we have that just needs to be put down, we want it so bad but for some reason we will ourselves to keep searching for that one reason to keep going. Mine was The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. I couldn't get passed the dull characters and throughout half the book, the plot never moved. I rifled through the pages looking for reasons to keep reading, and the more I looked the less I found. It was as if the book crumbled around me. I knew it was, and I watched it fall around me; yet I couldn't stop myself I wanted to find that one reason.

      Barnes and Noble put a blog post about the Five Stages Of Breaking Up With A Book, I encourage you to go read it and make your own judgement. I want to talk about why you should put that book down and  move on. First off I understand that there are books out there that speak to us and call to us, and those books linger on our mind far more than those who need to be let go.

      I don't think that just because you don't get into a book, think you should immediately leave the book for something better. First give the book a chance, personally I give a book two to three chapters and if I'm not slightly interested than I decide to put the book down and ask myself why. If I can answer why the book is bad or why I'm not interested it gives me a little way to look for what I am seeking in the book. However, given that you may or may not understand why the book doesn't have your interest, give the book a few more chapters one to two again to see if your concerns are addressed. Basically if in four to five chapters if I'm not at all interested or evenly partially interested, I know it's time to abandon a book.

      So now that I have at least passed on when I feel a book should be put aside, afterwards as a blogger I make sure to make notes on why I disliked or left the book. The reason for this is I may not review the book right away and I want to remember the way the book made me feel and the reason I abandoned the book. Even if you aren't a blogger, it would help keep the idea and the experience fresh so if any of your friends ask about the book you know what your answer might be.

      Even if a book is disliked and abandoned it's left an impression on us. So what if the book left a foul taste in your mouth, the impression and the experience is still there. I personally remember The Casual Vacancy very well. As well, later on down the road, give that book a second chance as well; personally my mood changes from time to time and with it my taste in books. Granted when I review a book I wait until a few days after I finish the book to write the review, because it leaves my emotion out of it and I give the review a good impartial opinion as I can do. I urge you to do the same, it may allow you to find a book you never thought you would enjoy and rightfully didn't the first time.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger