Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #42

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


     Work was simple and I got some time to work on this blog. I did a few things with the arrows on the carousel and they are now blue to show up clearer on against the background. I was looking to do that after a few of my friends commented that the arrows were visually hard to see, or were wondering what the widget was at the top. After describing it, they gave me a few hints on what I could do to improve it; ultimately it came to turning the arrows to white. I set about turning the arrows white and while I tested it, the white blended in too much again to the shades and texture of the background, so I found a blue that matched my site design..

The Program
Exile
Along for the Ride
Die for Me
Beautiful Disaster

Mailbox Pickup:



   Author: Suzanne Young
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: April 30th, 2013

     In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.

     Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

     Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.


     Since I saw that Me My Shelf and I did some swag designs for this I was curious about the book and what would make a blogger interested in doing swag. I will admit since she took the designs down, I had forgotten about the book. It never left the back of my mind, and one day while I was looking around Barnes and Noble I noticed this tucked away on the bottom shelf. I understand that the book was in alphabetical order, but it looked so secluded and pushed aside that I instantly picked it up and never read the synopsis.

     Now that I have gotten a chance to read the synopsis the book doesn't sound all that bad, and the potential for a great story is great in this book. Something about a world in which everyone is afraid their child is going down a darker road. I wonder what that world would look like, in which everyone is afraid they're going to commit suicide. When Sloane and her boyfriend are losing a battle, of hiding their emotions and their feelings to keep out of The Program. where those emotionally distressed go.






Title:  Exile
   Author: Rebecca Lim
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: April 23rd, 2013

     Mercy is an angel in exile and is doomed to return repeatedly to Earth, taking on a new human form each time she does. Now she "wakes" as unhappy teen Lela, a girl caring for her dying mother but never herself.

     As Mercy's shattered memory begins to return, she remembers Ryan, the boy she fell in love with in another life, and Luc, the angel haunting her dreams. Will Mercy risk Lela’s life to be reunited with her heart’s true desire?

     An electric combination of angels, mystery and romance, Exile is the second book in the undeniably mesmerizing Mercy series.

     Sequel to Mercy, Exile picks up where everything left off and while I wasn't too thrilled that the book had a sequel I just had to finish the series. I never got around to reading the first book, but I was drawn to the idea that Mercy was an angel who constantly comes to earth in a different form each time. So essentially she has a new persona and body each time. It reminds me of Every Day by David Levithan, and  how the emotions and persona interact with each other I hope makes it as well.

     So Mercy in this case is a girl who is unhappy with what? The synopsis never says, is she unhappy with her life, with her emotional well being, or something else? There isn't enough about Lela to know what type of life style she is living. Furthermore Mercy remembers this haunting angel Luc, which tell me nothing, but maybe I am supposed to read the first book and understand there who Luc is. I am curious to see this book, but there is part of me that doesn't understand why I am motivated to read this book.






Title: Along for the Ride
   Author: Sarah Dessen
   Format: Paperback
   Release Date: June 2012

     Up all night.

     Nights have always been Auden's time, her chance to escape everything that's going on around her.

     Then she meets Eli, a fellow insomniac, and he becomes her nocturnal tour guide.

     Now, with an endless supply of summer nights between them, almost anything can happen...

     Another Sarah Dessen book has made it onto my shelves and while I am curious to read all of her work, eventually I will. Her ability to capture a moment in a lifetime that makes it easier for teens, specifically teenage girls, to understand themselves and move on and mature. She creates that moment of self identification, love, and maturity over and over in every book. I can't wait to see how Along for the Ride plays into her style of book, and what type of book this is ultimately.

     My curiosity hit this synopsis hard and while there isn't much here I am interested in seeing more than just the surface. First off the line "... fellow insomniac ..." does that imply that Auden is an insomniac? It would be great to see what Dessen does with that sort of lifestyle. Or is she implying that Auden is just a night owl and loves the nightlife like any teenager does? Either or, the book turns around when Eli comes into the picture. She's turned around and upside down with a new passion and love life.





Title:  Die for Me
   Author: Amy Plum
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: May 10th, 2011

     In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

     When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

     Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

     Die for me was one of those picks in which I looked at and thought the covers were fantastic. Creating the iconic lattice/tribal design around the title of the book. I love how they create a unity and create a sense of belonging to the girl and Title/Author. Furthermore, love how they take the lattice design and wrap it around not only the title/author but the girl as well. It makes it feel like she owns the cover and is more than just some weak unimportant character. It ties her to the title so they are one.

     Kate's parents are dead, killed in a car accident. It sounds like If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I understand that these books aren't at all alike. Furthermore this book has undead. So it's not exactly like the whole contemporary romance that If I Stay had. In this case, I am looking at the book wondering how close to Twilight is this? Kate better be more entertaining than Bella Swan, and that shouldn't be that hard to do. There isn't any love triangles, or odd romance, at least I am not not sure of that. I am looking forward to this.






   Author: Jamie McGuire
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: May 26th, 2011


INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.

     Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

     Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

     Beautiful Disaster is a book that I am not sure if it's a young adult romance or just a romance. I am looking at this book and wondering about Abby and Travis as well. I am curious on what Abby is like, a normal nerdy girl who has lived her life straight. Nothing bothers her, or gets close to her persona; yet there is something that bothers me about her character. She doesn't let anything past her guard until one day, Travis steps into the picture. So when a girl strays from her path, and becomes something different.

     Travis is the opposite, a lean, cut, tattooed and a reputation of the campuses walking one-night stand. Yet this is the man that Abby needs to avoid, and yet she feels drawn to him. What I don't understand about Travis it the need to make money in a "floating fight ring." What is a floating fight ring? Does it float on water? Yet a bet between the two, leaves the two in a fight for their pride and their love/passion. I was enthralled immediately with how well the two compete with each other, furthermore they complete each other. It's a great companion with how they interact with each other.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger