Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #49

Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past release that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Click the book title to add it to your Goodreads TBR List!



Title: Nerve
   Author: Jeanne Ryan
   Release Date: September 13th, 2012

     A high-stakes online game of dares turns deadly

     When Vee is picked to be a player in NERVE, an anonymous game of dares broadcast live online, she discovers that the game knows her. They tempt her with prizes taken from her ThisIsMe page and team her up with the perfect boy, sizzling-hot Ian. At first it's exhilarating--Vee and Ian's fans cheer them on to riskier dares with higher stakes. But the game takes a twisted turn when they're directed to a secret location with five other players for the Grand Prize round. Suddenly they're playing all or nothing, with their lives on the line. Just how far will Vee go before she loses NERVE?


My Stance:

     Nerve, a different twist than The Declaration which I did earlier today. However, this book appealed to me shortly after I finished The Hunger Games, when I first started reading again. At that point I will admit I was picking up anything that sounded remotely close to that series and sought it out long and hard. Good things came out of that time, like Divergent, Matched, and The Maze Runner; However, at the same time some of the books I have removed from my wishlist also came out of that.

     With that in mind, I came back to this book and revisited the synopsis. And I'm not sure where I stand on this book, I could either love this book or hate it. I don't think there's that much grey area here. On Goodreads I left the top art of their brief out, because it was a comparison that I hate. "For Fans of The Hunger Games," well, yes, okay any book that has slightly the same proposed plot is going to use that. And I hate to say it, but most books that try to compare to that series and what Suzanne Collins captured, fall miles and miles away from where they could have been if they did something original.

     So yes, I am worried that the comparison is too harsh and frankly the expectation is going to be extremely high if you want to hold that standard. Yet, there is some joy in what I see. It's a game of sorts, or what starts out as a game, that people date the contestants and their actions are broadcast live. I just picture everyone on Facebook daring me to do random things and I have to comply or what? Do I get to leave, what's the downside? I don't see how the book turns a "reality tv/game show" into a "life-or-death hunger games," it is just too much of a stretch. But I'll bite for the simple fact that it would be a good comparison to another novel that came out this last week!
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger