Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Waiting on Wednesday] - #46

     Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted over at Breaking The Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

See something you like here?
Click the book title to add it to your Goodreads TBR List!


Title: Salvage
   Author: Alexandra Duncan
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: April 8th, 2014

     Ava, a teenage girl living aboard the male-dominated deep space merchant ship Parastrata, faces betrayal, banishment, and death. Taking her fate into her own hands, she flees to the Gyre, a floating continent of garbage and scrap in the Pacific Ocean, in this thrilling, surprising, and thought-provoking debut novel that will appeal to fans of Across the Universe, by Beth Revis, and The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood.

My Stance:

     Salvage is a book that I never would have found if it wasn't for the girls on Tea Time at Epic Reads. I always love listening to them and seeing what they are reading and the new books they show off. So I got myself caught up this last weekend when I had some time to myself, finally. In doing so, this book cropped up and caught my eye. I first thought this would be like These Broken Stars, and while I look further it occurs to me that I was sadly wrong. While I wish for another great space and survival story, I doubt this will be it.

     Salvage could be a good survival story about Ava. However, I am nervous of this book, simply for the reason of what it's being compared to. The Handmaid's Tale, a classic, and a wonderful Space Sci-fi novel, Across the Universe. Books that try to make a name for themselves this way just put me on edge and make me wonder why they don't try to do it on their own. I hope I am wrong and this book will stand out on its own without needed those comparisons and the comparisons are justified.

     Furthermore from the synopsis of the book that is available at the time, there's just not a lot to go on. I wish I knew more about Ava other than she needs to escape wherever she is at, and where is that? I just nearly hate this synopsis and if the Epic Reads hadn't shown this book, I probably wouldn't be at all interested in this novel, based on what's available.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger