Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - False Memory by Dan Krokos

Title: False Memory
   Author: Dan Krokos
   Series: #1 - False Memory
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: August 14th, 2012
   My Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0

     Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory. In her panic, she releases a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her. Except Peter, a boy who isn’t at all surprised by Miranda’s shocking ability.

     Left with no choice but to trust this stranger, Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically-altered teens who possess flawless combat skills and powers strong enough to destroy a city. But adjusting to her old life isn’t easy—especially with Noah, the boyfriend she can’t remember loving.

     Then Miranda uncovers a dark truth that sets her team on the run. Suddenly her past doesn’t seem to matter... when there may not be a future.

     Dan Krokos’ debut is a tour-de-force of non-stop action that will leave readers begging for the next book in this bold and powerful new series.

My Review:

    False Memory was one of those read where I wasn't sure what to expect when I started the book, and I hate to say it but the synopsis was wrong. I love the bit when she is supposed to start on a park bench, definitely not. She starts in a mall, and bench/chair whatever, but it's definitely not a park. However, the rest of the book is pretty much spot on.

     I was looking for something different when I picked this book up and I got it. The idea that teenagers or anyone in general (regardless of age) could be used as a weapon was just unbelievable and unique. I went to Anderson's and was part of a book signing with Dan Krokos, Erica O'Rourke, Leigh Bardugo, and Veronica Roth; in the Q&A part of the signing I enjoyed Dan's description about his book. He said the idea came while reading about a bug or animal (I can't remember) that releases a pheromones into the air that cause the predator to behave differently as a defense mechanism. He thought that was a fantastic idea and wondered what it would do in the hands of humans. I have to say it's great bridge, and melding that into a world that is believable and realistic.

     Now while you can say that having this book signed and having met the author, that my review and opinion of the book would be slightly jaded. To be honest I have to say I put this off for around a year after the signing and meeting him. Plus it's not like we are best friends, I doubt if he even remembers me. It'd be creeping to expect he would, but he was a great character to meet. I just want to assure everyone that no, that played no part in how I reviewed or rated this book in the end.

     I loved Miranda more than I wanted to let on, but there was flaws with her that I just had. First off Miranda is this strong willed women, I say that because I get the feeling after waking up from the amnesia she makes some pretty tough and grown-up choices. It's not simple anymore for her, and she deals and pushes forward. However, you see her grasp and try to understand things that almost make no sense, something that any normal person would just move along and not think twice about. However, I don't completely hold that against Miranda, in fact it's what makes her character believable and I loved her that much more because of it.

     Then we get into the other two character that stand out the most, Noah and Peter. They form this peculiar love triangle that's not exactly a triangle as much as one party tries to make it. Noah is her previous boyfriend that's trying to rekindle the relationship and I don't see any way for Noah to win that battle. How does something start over if you have no recollection of it before; it's almost like nothing happened and almost worst than starting a relationship completely over. Peter is the boy that Miranda seems to fall for over and over in the book. She's the one that she chooses to be with in this particular memory or time period, however you want to look at it. I am not sure who I like better overall, the two played well off each other. I was just waiting for the typical turf war, "Stay away from my woman" bit to play through, but it never really blew up that much.

     Dan Krokos turned a book that I didn't know what to expect or looking forward to, and inspired me to look forward to the next few pages as I read on. That's a hard trait to have in a debuting author and I hope to see great things from his future books. The plot was refreshing and full of action and twists. You never really get to settle down and relax, there's always tension someplace. Furthermore, the book ends in a way that I never really thought would happen, but than again I wasn't expecting anything when I picked this book up so that was really to be expected. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book and pick up where Krokos left me hanging.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger