Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Waiting on Wednesday] - #124

     Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted over at Breaking The Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

See something you like here?
Click the book title to add it to your Goodreads TBR List!


Title: The Scorpion Rules
   Author: Erin Bow
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: September 22nd, 2015

     A world battered by climate shift and war turns to an ancient method of keeping peace: the exchange of hostages. The Children of Peace - sons and daughters of kings and presidents and generals - are raised together in small, isolated schools called Preceptures. There, they learn history and political theory, and are taught to gracefully accept what may well be their fate: to die if their countries declare war.

     Greta Gustafsen Stuart, Duchess of Halifax and Crown Princess of the Pan-Polar Confederation, is the pride of the North American Precepture. Learned and disciplined, Greta is proud of her role in keeping the global peace, even though, with her country controlling two-thirds of the world’s most war-worthy resource — water — she has little chance of reaching adulthood alive.

     Enter Elián Palnik, the Precepture’s newest hostage and biggest problem. Greta’s world begins to tilt the moment she sees Elián dragged into the school in chains. The Precepture’s insidious surveillance, its small punishments and rewards, can make no dent in Elián, who is not interested in dignity and tradition, and doesn’t even accept the right of the UN to keep hostages.

     What will happen to Elián and Greta as their two nations inch closer to war?

My Stance:

     So I have gone over a few authors that I'm pretty much renewing some of the series, however in this case there is a new book. And I am really looking forward to this book. The Children of Peace seem rather harsh and I am reminded of Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys and the lifestyle she declares some prisoners are held. I loved Sepetys version of the prisoners, however what makes this novel call to me is the dual perspectives in this novel, which makes this so much better.

Greta while being the noble and trying to protect her country and well hording water, I don't quite agree with her perspective. However, I will hold my complete judgement of her character until I manage to get my hands on the novel and read. Elián is the character I want to just dive into, he/she is the one character that gets me the most excited about this book. He is the typical dystopian character, however rebelling against and oppressive government is something I can get behind. The path this book is taking is just outrageous and frankly has my eye. I cannot wait.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger