Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Eve by Anna Care

Title: Hunted
   Author: Anna Carey
   Series: #5 - Eve
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: March 10th, 2009
   My Rating: 3.5 out of 5.0

     Where do you go when nowhere is safe?

     Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth's population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school's real purpose and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

     Fleeing the only home she's ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust... and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

     In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying.

My Review:

     I had a friend of mine asking why I hadn't read Eve yet, and why it was still on my wishlist. Which then turned into why is it still on my shelf and not read? And honestly I regret not reading it sooner. The book surprised me more than most of the books I have read in the past. For an apocalyptic world, I didn't buy the whole bit of this is the state of the world, and yet the world building of America after a varus and government fallout was good. Now what I did find good about the novel was how the new government decided to manage and guide its people. That part is what I think sold the book for me, and yea there was some aspects of survival. Overall, I enjoyed the book, I just wish there was some more originality behind it. It started out with such a great gripping beginning, yet nothing was really done with it.

     First off, the book starts with Eve and her friends in a little town/camp that's cut off from everything, even the outside, mainly keep the outside out. Everyone in the small camp is more or less taught/trained to behave, do as you're told, not speak out and above all, going outside is forbidden. Which if you have any ounce of a brain, spells trouble at any turn. It surprises me that just one person happened to even think or questioned, but than again maybe there are others who just happen to go unnoticed.

     Eve was a character I actually enjoyed. She was smart and questioned the world around her and yet didn't want to leave her friends behind when she finds the truth about her little camp. A reality of the men in charge, the ones who think that that because humanity is running out they have the right to do anything regardless of those they hurt. The truth is plausible I guess, but I don't foresee woman enjoying or even dreaming this world on anyone. Even if it was men that were held captive, it's just cruel. Basically the girls are told they will aspire to great things if they behave and do good. At graduation they are turned to the building on the way out for a test of sorts, however it's a maternity camp. Men come in and do what they will and help prolong the human race, even if the women don't exactly know what they are signing up for.

     Who wouldn't run and try to escape that? It's a bit foolish to stay, and I guess if you haven't seen the events/building I could see your doubt. It's all you've grown up with. However Eve has always questioned the camp and the world she lives in. Its almost as if she's saying, "This is too good to be true" or "Why are some other people just disappearing." Even the person, who more or less pointed out and planted the seed of doubt in Eve's head, practically lays it all on the table for Eve.

     Than the outside world, with a girl who has been told that Men are evil. Men shouldn't and won't be trusted, all they want to do is touch and rape you. So that's why the book got good for me. When a simple boy, Caleb, finds them and offers them what little help he can provide in showing them the way to a possible safe haven. I love how Eve who as she trusts her world and where she came from, starts to open up to the possibility that all men aren't inherently evil. The interaction of the relationship was very dynamic and great, which helped contrast just how harsh the world was they were walking through.

     Now the ending was a bit melodramatic, yet it struck a cord. I hate Caleb's action in the end, and how the story ends. I understand why Eve did what she did, and the end of the book leaves no doubt about the sequel. I just hope that we don't go down this love Triangle road that Crossed with in the Matched trilogy, I like Caleb too much to allow myself to do that.

     Eve is one of those books that I think will surprise a bunch of people. So if you have time, pick it up at a local library and give a solid day or two. Its not too overly new or refreshing, but there are parts of the novel that stuck out, and Eve's relationship with Caleb was pretty well balanced. There just wasn't enough to wow me or push me to give this book a higher rating. I wish I could, honestly. I hope to start the next book soon and get the series finished by the end of the year. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger