Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Erasing Time by C.J. Hill

Title: Erasing Time
   Author: C.J. Hill
   Format: ARC
   Release Date: August 28th, 2012
   My Rating: 3.0 out of 5.0

     In this high-action and romantic futuristic adventure, there is no escape from the future for two contemporary girls pulled out of their own time.

     When twins Sheridan and Taylor wake up 400 years in the future, they find a changed world: domed cities, no animals, and a language that’s so different, it barely sounds like English. And the worst news: They can’t go back home.

     The twenty-fifth-century government transported the girls to their city hoping to find a famous scientist to help perfect a devastating new weapon. The moblike Dakine fights against the government, and somehow Taylor and Sheridan find themselves in the middle. The only way to elude them all is to trust Echo, a guy with secrets of his own. The trio must put their faith in the unknown to make a harrowing escape into the wilds beyond the city.

     Full of adrenaline-injected chases and heartbreaking confessions, Erasing Time explores the strength of the bonds between twins, the risks and rewards of trust, and the hard road to finding the courage to fight for what you believe in.

My Review:

     I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of this book, and I have to thank those at Epic Reads, Goodreads, and Pitch Dark for giving me the chance to read this book. It wasn't one of my favorite reads, and from the synopsis didn't sound like a book that I would pick up on my own, so I just want you to know how much I appreciate this opportunity. As well, I want to give thanks to C.J. Hill for putting this to paper, it was a story that had potential and did catch a slight eyebrow raise when I finished the synopsis.

     Now, when I started this book I was confused with How Echo and the twins fit together in such a large time gap and how the distance could be closed between the two. To put this bluntly, it sucked. The whole gimmick of a device used to pull someone to the future, decompressing the person to basic atoms than reconstituting the body back together in the future, or however, was just too much of a stretch. When I first tried to wrap my head around it, the first question that arose was "How much energy (power) would be needed to do that?" I would hate to see that outlet.

     The workings and how the machine works never really gets addressed at all, before the whole We need to destroy it before more people get pulled through. Okay I understand that, just imagine the impact of transporting Lincoln ahead through time and how much things could change. Or if you could make Einstein transport to the future where we understand what he was trying to convey and allow him to further his studies more. Okay that sounds more like benefits than negatives, so what were the negatives again? Oh right, the people were supposed to help a government they didn't understand at all, and if they didn't want to it would be mostly against their will.

     The romance in this book, was rather hard to get. It wasn't that the romance was deep, complicated, or frankly unique even. It was the fact that it was Echo falls in love with Sheridan... that's it. There's something about that, that bothers me. The fact that no bond was made before they just seemed to fall head over heals for each other. However, when they fought for the first time, I bounced for joy. That was the first sign of a good relationship in the book and I was happy for it. I wanted more, for this superhuman relationship. I found I was more happy that they were having problems, because it made them more believable.

     Okay I can't say it was entirely the fault of the relationship, that I didn't like how Echo and Sheridan fit together. The major issue in this book was how it was written. There was this third person perspective style that seemed to gleam through everything, but I felt occasionally like it was supposed to be a first person story told by two different people (Sheridan and Echo). I found myself constantly asking who was telling the story, was it a narrative third person, or one of the other characters. I found the style this was written very very hard to follow and trying to understand just what was going on through all the deciphering was more annoying.

     I was more annoyed with how one paragraph would be from Echo and he'd be explaining how he felt, and his motives. Than I would get to the next paragraph and Sheridan takes over and interjects her opinions and feelings in everything and there's no warning or explanation. So I was left to trying to figure out where one person took over and the other stopped. That's the biggest reason this book fell from its perch at a possible 4.0. And I'll be completely honest, I would love to re-read this again in an official released copy to see if it was fixed, if not I would love to lower this score further because of this issue.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger