Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Torn by Erica O'Rourke

Title: Torn
   Author: Erica O'Rourke
   Series: #1 - Torn Trilogy
   Format: Paperback
   Release Date: June 28th, 2011
   My Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0

     Everyone has secrets.
     Even best friends.


     Mo Fitzgerald knows about secrets. But when she witnesses her best friend's murder, she discovers Verity was hiding things she never could have guessed. To find the answers she needs and the vengeance she craves, Mo—quiet, ordinary, unmagical Mo—will have to enter a world of raw magic and shifting alliances. And she'll have to choose between two very different, equally dangerous guys—protective, duty-bound Colin and brash, mysterious Luc. One wants to save her, one wants to claim her. Which would you choose?

My Review:

     Erica O'Rourke was one of the first authors I was surprised to find. I actually got the chance to see her and listen to some of her comments and answers to various questions a few weeks ago when I went to the Five Reasons to Read book signing in Naperville, IL. I will be completely honest, I have never heard of her, or the series before the book signing (yes I got the entire series signed), and the whole bit of not knowing what to expect or what the book even entailed was part of what made this book a work of art.

     There seems to be this start of a love triangle that starts in the beginning of the book between Mo, Luc, and Colin. I knew right away who I enjoyed and thought Mo would be best suited for, and I was rather happy that the book went that route rather than the Twilight route in not being able to decide and go with both. As well, I didn't care for how Luc conducted himself around Mo. There was some sort of superiority that surrounded Luc whenever he was around, like he was always better than her, and that she didn't need to know everything only his "protection."

     Then Colin, he was one that made her make her own choices and when it came time for the consequences he was there helping her with whatever she got into. At even if it was over his head, he made it apparent that he was willing to do anything. He's very chivalrous, and just the whole air around his character drew me toward him over Luc.

     The book focuses around New Orleans being a Magic centered city, and how these Magi need Mo's help in sealing and repairing the lines of magic. I enjoyed how this magic and the lives of everyday humans interacted. I will be frank, I wish that the two world collided a bit more, like bystanders finding out about Magi, or others who understood Magi but were "normal." Its not a bit hole but something I wish was more prevalent.

     How well the story seemed to draw me in, not only to the characters, but trying to put the pieces together to stay ahead of the plot. Staying ahead and guessing what happened, did not happen in this book. There was enough twisting to keep me on my toes and enough development that my attention didn't get muddled up or confused along the way. I enjoyed the first bit of this series, and I will pick it up after I get through another series.
Share this article :

+ comments + 1 comments

October 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Im really jealous that you got all three signed.

Post a Comment
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger