Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #33

Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past released that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Click the book title to add it to your Goodreads TBR List!



Title: Starters
   Author: Lissa Price
   Release Date: March 13th, 2012

     HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER

     Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

     He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .


My Stance:

     So it's this week Starters is the feature, and while I have stared at this book over and over; I have reluctantly not picked it up because other books have budged ahead of this book. This book has been on my list for a long long while, and over and over I keep asking myself why I haven't picked this up. Honestly, the synopsis sounds great, a dystopia with a paranormal twist. It's not a normal dystopian novel, and I hope the book continues with the synopsis and makes me think and question just what Callie is doing, and what she plans on doing.

     Starters focuses on the aftermath of a war that seems to have wiped all the adults out. I thought at first I would enjoy this, but it seems over done already with Gone by Michael Grant and The Enemy by Charlie Higson. However, I moved beyond this overdone concept and we get into a paranormal dystopia in which children rent younger bodies to feel young again. That's where the story gets interesting and caught my attention. Apparently the children aren't supposed to wake up while the childrens' bodies are rented, but Callie changes everything when she does.

     What would you do if you know something about the company or group that was renting your body out that no one else knew? It sounds like Callie has an idea, and I hope it's trying to stop the group or the "new government." As well, the ploy sounds like the older are trying to live forever by moving from an older body into a younger one. When I first read this synopsis I immediately thought of the movie, "In Time." I loved that movie, and I hope this book doesn't ruin that comparison, and can keep up with a higher expectation that I have.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger