Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Featured Discussion] - Too Old

This is a new segment, Featured Discussion. Where, I am looking at heading with this segment is more of a opinion based discussion. There is some that will be true and fact, but for the main part I want a good discussion, and I want people to chime in and talk. I will make my opinion and comments known as well. However please, PLEASE do not insult or degrade anyone else.


Featured Discussion:

     I was recently looking around the web for topics I could talk about this week, and one of them stuck out to me, a simple question that most people ask themselves when they buy books. What age group do I fit in, and what group does the book fit in? Basically is this book appropriate for my age? That's a rather tough question and moral issue to deal with, and I am going to attempt to tackle it. First up is the question specifically that I found:


     How Old is 'too old' for Young Adult books?
I love Young Adult books and much prefer them to 'adult' books. But Young Adult is also 'children's books,' teenagers in school. So how old is too old to be reading the Young Adult genre? What do you think

     I am not sure what to say about that really, I mean we are back to trying to quantifying books again. I guess Books will always be the subject to that and that will never changes, let's hope it does sometime.

     However, until then we are tackled by the plaguing question, How Old is Too Old? I am not sure there is a right or wrong answer to tackle that question, it's more of a inward answer. What I mean, is he age only matters to you, if you don't feel you are too old, than you aren't. Of course, others will perceive this differently, but that's their perception not yours.

     Overall, I personally would never say there is a suck thing as being too old to read the specific genre or any genre. If you enjoy it, if you read it and can fully comprehend what's going on in the book, by all means, continue. No one should stop or tell you to stop, but I know my parents when I first got in the Young Adult genre, looked at me weird. I'm 27, and reading "below my level," well I might quite possibly be reading below my level, but I am enjoying what I read. So who cares what others think of me.

     Now I am going to ruffle some feathers with this next bit; I do believe in the minimum age set on books. The reason is, because you can't get a younger child a book with lewd sex or an intense morbid murder scenes and expect them to understand that it's not real. Or better yet that some of the actions in books aren't necessarily okay to perform or act upon in real life. There must be some understanding in the person reading the book, that fiction is as it's described something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made up story.

     So overall, no I don't believe anyone can be too old for a specific book and yet someone can be too young to read a book. It's all based on perception and where you view yourself in relation to the book and the premise the book is trying to convey, and some of the subject matter. It's a slop we all don't want to think about but, we'll get there. As well I hope we all stop and look at the books on your shelves, and cherish them greatly for the characters and stories they told us.



     Book Genres – A List Every Writer Should Know
Since the publishing industry is segmented by genre, it is essential that you are able to identify and become intimately involved with your genre. As a first step along this road, here’s the genre list we use…

     This is a preview of the next featured discussion... Just why are genres so important and why do they matter? Aside making lists to sort our books, what impact does Book Genres have on the  reading scene, not just the writing scene.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger