Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Evermore by Alyson Noel

Title: Evermore
   Author: Alyson Noel
   Series: #1 - The Immortals
   Format: Paperback
   Release Date: February 3rd, 2009
   My Rating: 2.0 out of 5.0

     The first book in Alyson Noël's extraordinary new Immortals series. Enter an enchanting new world, where true love never dies...

     After a horrible accident claims the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people's auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone's entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact to suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school — but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste.

     Damen is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head - wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can peer straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is - or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.

My Review:

     Evermore I thought would be this new paranormal book that would surprise me and I would enjoy completely. However this book had holes in just about every part of the book that drove me crazy. It was the perfect example of why I try to avoid some paranormal romance because of how typical and bland. I was hoping for more from the protagonist, but how can you do that when you name the character Ever. The name is so out of the ordinary and just odd that I couldn't figure what kind of parents would name their child that.

     Ever was this weak childish high school girl that frankly lacks a lot of intelligence. There are scenes time and time again that she seems to throw logic out the window and make rash decisions. Further she is so stubborn she won't listen to anyone or sit long enough for anyone to explain. It's sad to see such a great potential and the Goodreads description makes it sound great.

     Damen enters with thunder and while most would think that's a good thing. I am talking about the lightning strike that kills your long-time dog. He's this stereotypical perfect guy that's always there when Ever needs it. I never really saw any flaw with him, anything that would point that he's a normal person. Other than him randomly disappearing and showing up randomly. He's this immortal that frankly is far beyond worst than Twilight. I know that's hard to say about a book, but Damen was just laughable.

     There was light at the end of the tunnel for this book, Ever did grow at the end of the book, and while the first half of the book I just didn't like at all. She is given the choice to be immortal with Damen and I love how she takes a step back and has to think about it. That's the one part in which she finally steps out of herself and I find that part and the events leading up to it, the turning point in the novel and what I had to give some credit to.

     The relationship between Ever and Damen was something I as well found laughable. It was that cheesy high school relationship, that starts off a simple party. I expected more, and a bit more mature relationship. It was that giggly bubbly relationship, that frankly with a stubborn girl in half the book makes the whole book less believable. However when the relationship is starting, Damen is chasing Ever in a classic paranormal "no actually means try harder" type of stalker. Frankly, the relationship shouldn't have started honestly with Damen chasing Ever in this creepy stalker way.

     If you want a paranormal book that's actually good, I suggest trying something else. This just isn't the book to start with, and frankly it shouldn't be read. I will finish the series since I started, I hope the book matures and provides something deeper than just some high school sing-a-long. I would suggest trying another Noel book if you want to try a series by her, maybe that will be better than what this book was.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger