Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Title: Attachments
   Author: Rainbow Rowell
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: April 14th, 2011
   My Rating: 5.0 out of 5.0

     "Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "

     Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

     Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

     When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

     By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

     What would he say . . . ?

My Review:

     Attachments was what I was looking for in a Rainbow Rowell book. This is so cute and rewarding finishing this novel. This is what I was looking for in Eleanor and Park, I am glad I took a second chance on her novels. I have heard wonderful things about her novels and her reviews speak highly. After Eleanor and Park I questioned some of those opinions. I figured it was just a fluke and picked up the next one eager to prove myself wrong. I am glad I did and thoroughly enjoyed this novel.

     We all know the old days when the internet first arose to main stream, and while I would have been really young than. The idea that people could e-mail or do something they weren't supposed to and the CEO's or employers were scared that they'd lose control. In Lincoln's case, that's one of those. He's in the position to go through and read everyone's e-mail and warn them if they do something against the handbook or rules. I understand that he more than likely thought the job was something completely different.

     Lincoln was a sore spot for a few, I mean he's a good looking guy. By that I mean's he's slightly above average, however the rest is his weaker sides, but not necessarily negative. He lives with his mother and on the weekends heads out and plays D&D with his friends. He's a bit nerdy, but in a good way. Its that uniqueness and quirks to his character that I feel make him believable and realistic. Now not all geeky, nerdy people have that typical look, that buck-tooth pocket protector look. Get that out of your head.

     Than the second portion of the book is Beth who is an co-work with Lincoln. Beth is one of those girls who is humorous and I found myself falling in love with her character. The trouble she has with her boyfriend and the correspondence with Jennifer give here character life beyond any contemporary novel I've read so far. She's a write of sorts, doing movie reviews for a newspaper. A lot of the insight into her character is done through e-mails with Jennifer who is a copy-editor for the same newspaper.

     What you tend to get is that while Lincoln doubts the ethical value and just how important it is to him that his job requires him to read the e-mails and private lives of his co-worker. He views himself as the bad/evil guy that has to punish everyone at work, and he hates it. However when he sees and starts reading Beth's e-mails he has trouble stopping. Not really on an ethical perspective, well okay yea that but I think it's more of he feels an attraction and feelings forming for her. It's amazing to see how he dealt with it.

     If you have any doubts about what Rainbow Rowell can do in a novel, take a step back and look at the books again. She's an artist, and while I doubted her, I was wrong of that. However I think everyone doubts an author every now and then. To expect them to put out the best quality of work every novel is a bit too much to ask for, so I want to ask everyone to take a look at the books again, reread them and maybe there is something you missed that will make the book that much better. 
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger