Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #20

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      Still going strong, and I am amazed at how twenty Mailbox Mondays have gone by. It seems just like the other day that I started this segment, and I hope it keeps going. I want to thank everyone who visits and makes this place a stop to read the reviews and catch up on the books that I'm following. I want to ask everyone to pass my blog along, I would love to see new faces and hear from everyone as well.

     Aside that I hope you all liked the series last week. I took a different route this time and got a few individual books, new series that I've added to my shelf. I won't hold you back, so here is to the books this time, and I hope you all enjoy this series.

Venom
Shadowfell
Great Tales of Horror
The Farm
The Darkest Minds

Mailbox Pickup:



Title:Venom
   Author: Fiona Paul
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: October 30th, 2012

     Cassandra Caravello is one of Renaissance Venice’s lucky elite: with elegant gowns, sparkling jewels, her own lady’s maid, and a wealthy fiancĂ©, she has everything a girl could desire. Yet ever since her parents’ death, Cassandra has felt trapped, alone in a city of water, where the dark and labyrinthine canals whisper of escape.

     When Cass stumbles upon a murdered woman—practically in her own backyard—she’s drawn into a dangerous world of courtesans, killers, and secret societies. Soon, she finds herself falling for Falco, a mysterious artist with a mischievous grin... and a spectacular skill for trouble. Can Cassandra find the murderer, before he finds her? And will she stay true to her fiancĂ©, or succumb to her uncontrollable feelings for Falco?

     Beauty, love, romance, and mystery weave together in a stunning novel that’s as seductive and surprising as the city of Venice itself.

      Venom was the first book I really pre-ordered in advance, by a significant amount. I thought the whole romance was a unique spin on some of my more action packed novels, I have been stuck in. However I don't care for the infidelity in this book, however I could be wrong in thinking her fiance is worth sticking around for and there is other relationship issues/problems I'm not seeing yet. The whole mystery with who her fiance is and what type of person he is, and if he suspects anything is changing in her behavior. I would love to see it play out in a struggle and she's pulled in two directions, she deserves it.

     However I am wondering why type of book this is. Is it a mystery where she is trying to solve her parents murder or the murdered woman, or is it a romance novel where she's trying to find the perfect love? I am wondering in this type of book if one will overpower the other, or if Fiona Paul can manage to blend the two together and make it work. I hope it works together!






Title: Shadowfell
   Author: Juliet Marillier
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: September 11th, 2012

     Sixteen-year-old Neryn is alone in the land of Alban, where the oppressive king has ordered anyone with magical strengths captured and brought before him. Eager to hide her own canny skill--a uniquely powerful ability to communicate with the fairy-like Good Folk--Neryn sets out for the legendary Shadowfell, a home and training ground for a secret rebel group determined to overthrow the evil King Keldec.

     During her dangerous journey, she receives aid from the Good Folk, who tell her she must pass a series of tests in order to recognize her full potential. She also finds help from a handsome young man, Flint, who rescues her from certain death--but whose motives in doing so remain unclear. Neryn struggles to trust her only allies. They both hint that she alone may be the key to Alban's release from Keldec's rule. Homeless, unsure of who to trust, and trapped in an empire determined to crush her, Neryn must make it to Shadowfell not only to save herself, but to save Alban.

     Here is another fantasy novel, but nothing compared to Twilight. I hope the book is raw and dark; I want the land to drip blood and the book to be so black and bleak that I want to cry and beg for light. That's how I picture Shadowfell based on this synopsis. If Neryn is homeless and pretty much isolated to herself, I would assume that she would have trouble finding food, unless she hunts. This book just seems to scream dark and deep, if you want to know what I'm talking about look at Sacred Scars by Kathleen Duey.

     The struggle and lack of trust in this book is always something to keep an eye on. And the character Flint is something of interest, I want to see what he's like and if there is a possible romance or deception in his persona. At the same time there is the Good Folk, are they faeries? What are they? I am curious to see what creature comes form this and hope that the story of trust and escape reaches far beyond my expectations!






   Author: H.P. Lovecraft
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: May 17th, 2011

     H.P. Lovecraft wrote horror stories like no other author before or after him. In the pages of Weird Tales and other pulp-fiction magazines of the 1920s and '30s, Lovecraft pioneered a new type of story that fused the thrills of supernatural horror with the visionary concepts of science fiction. His unique style of cosmic horror revolutionized the modern horror tale through its depiction of a vast universe indifferent to human existence and populated by incomprehensibly alien monsters.

     This volume collects twenty of Lovecraft's best-known horror stories, including several that laid the foundation for the Cthulhu Mythos, a pattern of myth and lore that represents the high point of his writing and one of the most original contributions to fantastic fiction of the past century. Selections include:

     "Pickman's Model" The monsters in Richard Upton Pickman's paintings were so hideously lifelike you might easily believe that they had been painted from real life.

     "The Rats in the Walls" The nightly scramblings of foraging rats in the walls were disturbing enough -- but what horror did their destination belowground suggest?

     "The Call of Cthulhu" An island risen from the depths of the Pacific Ocean houses a denizen whose emergence in our world portends the end of life as we know it.

     "At the Mountains of Madness" In the wastes of Antarctica, an exploration team discovers the remnants of an inconceivably ancient pre-human civilization -- and evidence that whatever wiped it out may still be at large.

     H.P. Lovecraft: Great Tales of Horror is your passport to unique worlds of wonder and terror as only one of the greatest horror writers of all time could imagine them.

     Now this isn't like my typical books, but H.P. Lovecraft is a great horror author and I love Edgar Allen Poe, so I had to see what Lovecraft could do in comparison. I bought this from Barnes and Noble for about $5 and it will be worth every cent when I finally get around to reading it. There is a series of tales in this book, and some of his greatest work!






Title: The Farm
   Author: Emily McKay
   Format: Paperback
   Release Date: January 17th, 2012

     Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the undead monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Farms by turning on each other…

     And when trust is a thing of the past, escape is nearly impossible.

     Lily and her twin sister Mel have a plan. Though Mel can barely communicate, her autism helps her notice things no one else notices—like the portion of electrical fence that gets turned off every night. Getting across won’t be easy, but as Lily gathers what they need to escape, a familiar face appears out of nowhere, offering to help…

     Carter was a schoolmate of Lily’s in the Before. Managing to evade capture until now, he has valuable knowledge of the outside world. But like everyone on the Farm, Carter has his own agenda, and he knows that behind the Ticks is an even more dangerous threat to the human race...

     The Farm is a book that when I picked it up was compared to The Hunger Games and Resident Evil, and even said it was the two combined. I love both series, and I wanted to know if this book could hold up to that comparison; I hope. Now my first concern there is Before and an After. What's the cause of the Before? Okay vampires, but that doesn't explain a lot; I am looking for more detail and curiosity is just brooding my my mind at that premise.

     Lily and Mel, being twins I thought they would be more identical and more like each other, and I get the feeling I am going to be wrong. Mel being almost incapable of talking due to her autism, makes this a hard concept to understand. I hope that her disability doesn't cause something bad to happen to her, just seems more of a cop out, than a good plot. Than Carter, I am curious on what his motive is with Mel and Lily. What is he after, and why is it he seems to know about the outside that Mel and Lily do not?






   Author: Alexandra Bracken
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: December 18th, 2012

     When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

     Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

     When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

     When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

     The Darkest Minds speaks to me on different levels; I am not sure if this book is a paranormal/fantasy, or a dystopian. It has both aspects with whatever power these teenager/children possess, and I am curious to see what type and the extent of their powers. However, I feel I am going to label this a dystopian, simply because while it does have a decent amount of fantasy qualities, I believe the primary focus is on the government control of these teenagers and their abilities.

     Ruby's parents abandoned her, and with anyone that abandonment will stick for a long time. Even when a new boy is falling for her, Liam, and she's trying to keep herself at a distance so she won't get hurt again, and I can't say that I don't blame her. At the same time though, the hope that the world will get better in their journey across the land to East River, their destination and hope may be the downfall and final abandonment that Ruby faces.

     Now I look at the synopsis over and over, and realize each time that Ruby seems to possess an ability that everyone is fighting over. See I don't understand that. It's like in Shatter Me, everyone seems to want her power as well, and there a huge war and panic to try to control this girl. I hope that this book spins it a different way, and doesn't go for the same plot and scenario that Shatter Me did, I want something fresh and new!
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger