Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

   Author: Patrick Ness
   Series: #3 - Chaos Walking
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: September 24th, 2004
   My Rating: 5.0 out of 5.0

     "War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge - the electrifying finale to the award-winning "Chaos Walking" trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war.

My Review:

     The end of the series, and with great sadness I have to say I didn't want it to end. This is the most recent book that I have to say I still yearn for another book, to find out what happens to the characters afterwards. There is closure in the ending, yes, but it leaves you with that open ending, wondering if things are okay with how they are left? What will happen to the characters, and frankly I found myself attached to the characters more in this book than the other two books prior.

     I have to agree with Emily, a blogger over at The Book Geek, Patrick Ness does a great job blurring the lines between a great adventure and political and natural humanitarian moral issues as well. There are times where Ness makes the line between who is a villain and a hero very hard to discern, and makes this book even more enjoyable. Constantly you'll find yourself wondering if Mayor Prentiss is the one everyone should follow, or if he's just another communist bent on trying to provide better for the larger group, even if casting aside a small number is needed. And there's Madame Coyle who poses a whole new broad array of questions, pulling your ideals at who and what a terrorist is.

     I found myself questioning the personas of Todd and Viola the entire time, could you really pinpoint on if they were the correct people to follow, or did they happen to be at the right places at the right time. Todd's character takes the front seat in this book, from where I viewed the book. I don't want to give anything away about the ending of this book, but his persona and characterization is the may draw, and the main reason I wish there was another book. Viola I was happy with, she brought light and a sense of strength to the book like I hadn't thought of.

     Than there is a new persona in this book that adds to the dimension that I hadn't thought Ness would captivate, yet he does in a superb manner. The good vengeance of 1017 pierces the heart and his relentless need to seek and destroy those who put his people in harm. The reason I fell in love with this character, is he's a lot like humanity than we'll admit to. We all have some vengeance in us, that we can't see, and 1017 helps us realize that sometimes if we let go, and stop and think maybe just maybe we could learn from our mistakes. Maybe that's what happens to 1017 at the end of the book, and maybe it's too late for the lessons to be learned by him, who knows.

     At every turn there is an astonishing twist and a world devoted to war and trying to do the right thing in times of crisis, while trying to still preserve some sort of humanity. This is a great thought-provoking book, and an important piece in the series that I hope everyone considers to put on their shelf! It's far far from a child's book, and I hope everyone gets passed that label. I won't forget this book any time soon.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger