Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Stacking the Shelves] - #22

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your bookshelf, be it the physical one or your digital one!


      I have to say I am going to have to start doing movie reviews on books that I have read, watched Beautiful Creatures not too long ago, and I was actually shocked at the details. I haven't read the book, but the movie inspires me to pick up the book off my shelf and start reading it. I want to know, what the book has been hiding away from movie. Like in The Hunger Games, there is were subtle differences, but still the same overall principle

      I am making more headway on the books that I have got over time. This week, a series of books that have peaked my interests, and I hope they do the same for you. This is the series I actually look forward to every week. I enjoy sharing my shelf with everyone, with those that keep up to date with everything, and visit on a daily basis.

Cinder
Just One Day
Through the Ever Night
Angelfire
Déjà Dead

Mailbox Pickup:



Title:Cinder
   Author: Marissa Meyer
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: January 3rd, 2012

     Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

     Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

      Cinder has been on my list for a decent length of time, and I finally got a hold of a copy. There's not much to say about this book, and the estimation on what I feel about this selection. Everywhere, I've seen this book among various bloggers/readers favorite lists, and I have to say I haven't read it yet, and part of me is ashamed to say that.

     If anyone out there watches Anime, this book reminds of a series called Texhnolyze, but not as messed up and confusing. I love android/cyborg based novels. And I thought Cinder, was a unique and driven character. I hope to dive into this book and see completely her story and the mysterious past she has. As well there is the romance with the Prince, and there is another interesting question, what is the motive he has in story for Cinder.






Title: Just One Day
   Author: Gayle Forman
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: January 8th, 2013

     A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay

     When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

     Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!


      I loved Gayle Forman's If I Stay and Where She Went, so there was no chance I was going to pass this up. I love the emotion that Forman can instill in her audiences and readers, if you haven't read either of those series, I suggestion you pick them up and keep some tissue handy. But there is a raw realness to her books, a sense of belonging and wanting the entire world to be alive and completely immersed in that world.

      In this book, there is a spark of romance that brings to live a budding relationship that seems to just end in tragedy. I hope not, and I hope that the story is much like If I Stay and Where she went. As well, Allyson is a normal girl who finds herself attracted to an actor, and in a day, the entire world seems to change. I can feel the emotion already in this book, and I hope it keeps that expectation up, I love Gayle Forman's books!






   Author: Veronica Rossi
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: January 8th, 2013

     It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

     Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

     In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.

     Through the Ever Night, I did read the Roar and Liv ebook novella, and it brings to light some of the characters I hope to see more of in this book. I have to be a bit girly here, the cover is amazing, however I don't picture Perry looking at all like that, nor Roar even, so I don't understand who this person is on the cover. As well, the relationship between Perry and Aria is put to the test, and I love books that push the boundaries of their relationships. I hope it persists, and that the aether storms don't swallow a good relationship.

     As well, Rossi does a great world building in the first book, so I am looking forward to seeing what she can do with this book. From what it sounds the storms are getting worse, and I hope see the destruction and chaos that they have caused, new lands and people that haven't been explored or touched yet. A sequel to such a great book!






Title: Angelfire
   Format: Paperback
   Release Date: February 15th, 2011

     First there are nightmares.
     Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.

     Then come the memories.
     When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.

     Now she must hunt.
     Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.

     Angelfire I came across when I was looking at other reviews and books that they enjoyed. I loved this synopsis and how the book is setup. It twists on the notion that angels are the perfect and pure bodies we all thought, instead here they are dark and hunting. I am curious to see what Ellie is, is she an angel? It would be a  great twist, kind of like the daywalker Blade series.

     Ellie and Will, a romance that morphs into a Buffy the vampire relationship? I don't know if I like the sounds of that, but Moulton has her work cut out for her. I am looking to see how the relationship turns out, and just how badass Ellie is. I am looking for something along the lines of Katniss or Saba personas in a Fallen series setting, I wonder how that would turn out. Someone should write that, or maybe it has been.





Title: Déjà Dead
   Author: Kathy Reichs
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: September 2nd, 197

     Dr. Temperance "Tempe" Brennan spends her days in the autopsy suite, the courtroom, the crime lab, with cops, and at exhumation sites. Often her long days turn into harrowing nights.

     It's June in Montreal, and Tempe, who has left a shaky marriage back home in North Carolina to take on the challenging assignment of director of forensic anthropology for the province of Quebec, looks forward to a relaxing weekend.

     First, though, she must stop at a newly uncovered burial site in the heart of the city. One look at the decomposed and decapitated corpse, stored neatly in plastic bags, tells her she'll spend the weekend in the crime lab. This is homicide of the worst kind. To begin to find some answers, Tempe must first identify the victim. Who is this person with the reddish hair and a small bone structure?

     This isn't my typical book, and its the first book in the Temperance Brennan series. For those of you who don't know, Kathy Reichs, is the screenwriter for Bones. And here is where the TV show gets some of its inspiration. Yea you probably could have figured it out on your own, but I have to put it down cause it's fascinating to see your work turn into a TV show and gives some of those other authors out there hope that there is recognition and the fans support you no matter how far you want to go, not just at the words you put on a paper.

     But here at The Paper Critic, I focus on the books and words. So Tempe, it almost sounds like Kathy is trying to tells us some of her stories she did while working, but I figure stuff like that would be confidential at best, so some creativity with personal knowledge and experience goes a long way. As well, as leading to a fantastic thriller and mystery series. The question though I have for the series, is there a underlying mystery to solve between the books, or is it just one case per book? Would be cool to have that underlying issue, but may be too hard to do as well. Let alone keep track of. 
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger