Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #29

Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past released that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Click the book title to add it to your Goodreads TBR List!



Title: Awaken
   Author: Katie Kacvinsky
   Release Date: May 23rd, 2011

     Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.

     Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.

     In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.


My Stance:

     I know this is out a bit later than what I may have intended, but I had a rough week and weekend. I ended up having to work a second split shift and then went to Chicago with my parents and grandmother to see my brother for a late mothers day. So I really didn't have a lot of spare time around a computer to post and update and keep going with this. But either way, I didn't forget about this segment.

     Awaken was suggested to me by a book club in which a lot of the were suggesting that this was one of the first books to bring about the dystopia genre. I understand where they are coming from, but this book has a lot more to it than just that. It seems to be a coming of age story as well as a dystopian. I have had this book on my wishlist for a lengthy while, and I understand why.

     Maddie begins to second guess the world she is living in, and to make matters worst, there is a new person in her life. With Justin coming into the picture it's like a trigger. She now has  a reason, and a purpose to stand up for a new life. In doing so she goes into a woman, and gains a voice of her own. Maddie seems like a normal girl who is in the process of growing up, and becoming her own person, but in the process needs to fight against society and the norm in order to succeed.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger