Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Possession by Elana Johnson

Title: Possession
   Series: Elana Johnson
   Series: #1 - Possession
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: June 7th, 2011
   My Rating: 2.5 out of 5.0

     Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

     But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn. Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn.

     This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

My Review:

     While I went into this book expecting a lot more than what I got out of it, I did enjoy it. This was one of those dystopian novels that I thought from the lovely synopsis. The government has taken over pretty much every aspect of life. The two main characters in the beginning, Violet and Zenn have been in love for years. While the government says they aren't supposed to see each other, they manage to sneak . However one night they are caught, simple.

     I wanted this book to be good, and while I enjoyed parts of it. The world building in this book is just not there. World building is key and while there was a lot of scenarios and different settings, it seemed to be rushed into the next one. The world never really seemed to settle, it was a constant journey, and the whole book focused on the characters more so than the world and the environment around. It was just so glaring, I couldn't look past it. I wanted more than anything to know more about the governing body.

     Now to Violet, and the most confusing character above all. I couldn't understand her at all. Yeah I understand that the position she is in is rough, and while she is thought to be a traitor of some sort. She is believed to be a Thinker, people who can control the thoughts and actions (nearly) of those around them. Most of the government is composed of Thinkers, because how else can you govern the masses. However, she doesn't want want that life or can't live with herself is she is moving the people she loves.

     Zenn is her love in the beginning and while there isn't much to him, I found him to take her for granted. "I love you and we're destined to be together." I'm sorry that doesn't work in dystopian fiction anymore. What may have worked in this book is someone who wants to show her why they need to be together, why she is special. I didn't buy his feelings at all, and thought he was more of an annoyance to the story than the effort it probably took to write him into the book.

     Jag is the next character, while isn't in a main character until later in the book. He's the character that I fell in love with this book. He kept me on my toes, and made a genuinely confusing and almost boring book slightly entertaining. The relationship he took with Violet was unique and refreshing to this story. Jag singlehandedly saved this book I feel from being a complete failure. While he was confident and exuded arrogance and charm, he was the breath of life in this book.

     The rest of the book was messy and confusing. To be honest even after having read it, I am not sure what the book was overall trying to get across. The ending has caught a bit of grieve, in how it isn't a happy ending, and it is a bit realistic. I enjoyed how Elana didn't write the story that everyone as expecting to see, and twisted it into a near cliffhanger for the second book. It was probably the best part here, and that's just not great.

     If you are thinking about picking up this book, I have to warn you: This book is for a select few. I wanted this book to be good, and while I enjoyed it, the rating I felt it deserved just wouldn't match. It's disappointing but I can't and won't go higher. It had promise and while the workings are all there, the writing style is great. The book tried to tackle too much and the world building wasn't there. I highly suggest looking into another book, or maybe something else (Slated, Unwind, etc.) to satisfy this taste.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger