Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Movie Review] - Vampire Academy


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Title: Vampire Academy
   Director: Mark Waters
   Author: Richelle Mead
   Release Date: February 14th, 2013
   Rating: 6.0 Out of 10

     Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, half human-half vampire, a guardian of the Moroi, peaceful, mortal vampires living discreetly within our world. Her calling is to protect the Moroi from bloodthirsty, immortal Vampires, the Strigoi.

From the Book:
     St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...

     Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.

Review:

     Vampire Academy was a book in which I wasn't expecting to watch and I had nearly no expectation of what I would be getting out of the movie. I haven't read the book, and I very much want to now. I enjoyed the classy, chick humor. I say chick in that this movie is tailored to girls/women, I don't know of any guy would would willingly go and see this without a girlfriend. Before any of you say, "Well you went and saw it." Yea, because out of curiosity and pure boredom. If it was any normal day, and I was going to see any movie EVER, this would not be it. but having said that I was rather surprised by the movie.

     Lucy Fry (as Lissa Drogmir) and Zoey Deutch (as Rose Hathaway) were casted really well. They both played the parts really well. I thought Lissa was this prissy queen/princess from the beginning, and while Rose was supposed to be this warrior/guardian, to be frank I found she was more laughable than an action star. However, if you are watching this movie for the action, I highly suggest you watch another movie. The friendship between the two was meh. While the plot suggested a conflict with the two, I found that it was more of an argument/mis-understand of two rather immature girls that frankly should be in the middle school, not high school.

     My first complaint was the action. If you want to put fighting scenes in the movie, please make them not laughable. No one could act-fight in this movie at all. I watch a lot of action movies, and frankly that's my favorite genre of movie, and when it comes to fighting there's a few movies that strike me as good, this was laughable. For Vampires I expected them to be fast, and it wouldn't have been hard to put a little graphics in there to make it appear that way, or something to play with the eye. It was so slow, wimpy, weak, that I am sure the humans could have fought back and had a better chance at winning.

     Next up is Rose's choice in a love interest. I want to talk about age, I know that age is a legal discriminator (when you drink, drive, vote, etc.), but I would make the argument that if you are going to date at say age 18-20 you should be dating someone near your age group (+/- 7/8 years). I am pretty sure that Dimitri is 15+ years over Rose, and frankly dating a potential father is rather disgusting. Okay maybe they weren't dating but the progress there shows in the movie. Maybe the book discerns the age differently and it's more acceptable there, but the actors seemed so far apart in maturity that it just didn't seem natural, let alone right at all.

     Maybe I am being harsh on this movie and maybe my standards are a little higher than what I should have had. I did just watch The Fault in Our Stars and here shortly later If I Stay, so my expectations are soaring at the moment. However, I don't want to lower my standards just for a movie or two. I want movies to earn their rating, and this just wasn't where I though it could be. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie enough that I'm trying to find a good copy of the Vampire Academy series. I loved the potential of the movie, I don't don't like the direction it took. Maybe the book was different from movie, I want to find the book and find out.

Note: I haven't read the book, so this is my perspective having just seen the movie.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger