Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Right of Way by Lauren Barnholdt

Title: Right of Way
   Series: Lauren Barnholdt
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: July 9th, 2013
   My Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0

     Can a road trip repair a romance gone wrong? Find out in this standalone companion to Lauren Barnholdt’s Two-way Street.

     Here are Peyton and Jace, meeting on vacation. Click! It’s awesome, it’s easy, it’s romantic. This is the real deal.

     Unless it isn’t. Because when you’re in love, you don’t just stop calling one day. And you don’t keep secrets. Or lie. And when your life starts falling apart, you’re supposed to have the other person to lean on.

     Here are Peyton and Jace again, broken up but thrown together on a road trip. One of them is lying about the destination. One of them is pretending not to be leaving something behind. And neither of them is prepared for what’s coming on the road ahead…

My Review:

     Right of Way was my first book by Lauren Barnholdt, and frankly while I didn't start with Two-Way Street, I fell in love with this book. Admittedly I expected it to be more of a summery, beach-style, road trip of a book. While I was a bit disappointed in some of the conflicts and just how the conflicts unfolded. However the awkwardness between Peyton and Jace was great, and while at times it created a rift, I thought it was kind of chivalrous and kindhearted the way Jace seemed to look after Peyton.

     The book starts in the middle of a wedding with Peyton trying to get a ride from a friend of hers, who just happens to bail on her. They had planned to escape and go to a beach and relax, however Peyton wants to move out and be on her own in that city. At the same time though, Jace a previous friend who broke her heart, shows up to save the day and gives her a ride. However Peyton isn't completely honest when she gives the directions.

     The book alternates back and forth between the present and why there is so much tension between the two. However the deeper the book dives into Peyton she turns out to be this self-absorbed brat that frankly was the only flaw I saw in the book. What got me past her, was I viewed her as an immature girl who is trying to make a life for herself. However most of the time I didn't think her choices were realistic at all.

     Jace on the other hand is a complete gentleman, however at times he is a bit of a douche. I am not sure if I enjoyed him because frankly when he had enough of Peyton's crap he ups and leaves like she asks, nearly. His character was refreshing and I found more realistic. Most of his actions were frankly what I would do, minus leaving her I would be pissed and tell her to get in the car or call someone to pick her up.

     Half of the book was spent on trying to figure out why the two of them broke each other's hearts before the start of the book. While the expectation for that revelation to be dramatic and worthwhile, it fell short kind of. I viewed it more of a miscommunication, and if you loved each other that much and just stopped talking, why don't you just pick up the phone and try. The effort put forth by the two is underwhelming when it came to that event, and is rather silly.

     The reason I rated this a 4.0 and didn't take off more for the Peyton and underwhelming backstory revelation, was I was able to look past the two. As well, the writing style of Barnholdt was effortless and brilliant, and that made up for some of the hardships I found in the book. However the part that stuck with me most of all, was how sweet the book was in the end. It just ended so profound and well, that I honestly can't wait to start Two-Way Street.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger