Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

Title: If I Lie
   Series: Corrine Jackson
   Format: Hardback
   Release Date: July 9th, 2013
   My Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0

     A powerful debut novel about the gray space between truth and perception.

     Quinn’s done the unthinkable: she kissed a guy who is not Carey, her boyfriend. And she got caught. Being branded a cheater would be bad enough, but Quinn is deemed a traitor, and shunned by all of her friends. Because Carey’s not just any guy—he’s serving in Afghanistan and revered by everyone in their small, military town.

     Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she’s vowed to keep—secrets that aren’t hers to share. And when Carey goes MIA, Quinn must decide how far she’ll go to protect her boyfriend…and her promise.

My Review:

     This was one of those books that I bought on a while, because I was looking for something to just break me wide open and make me crumble. I didn't think Corrine Jackson had it in her ith the synopsis, at least to the degree that happened. Oh my word this book is immense, and there is one fault I couldn't look past, but other than that the book was sound and great.

     First of all Quinn is part of a nuclear military family, in a community that is primarily all military. They all bind together and when something happens to one of their own they bind together. Quinn's mother is one of those that the community rallies around to kick out. She divorces her husband (Quinn's dad) and leaves with his brother. Her dad is quite and doesn't have much to do with Quinn at all. He doesn't seem to know anything about her, what she eats or what she enjoys. He's extremely strict and doesn't let anything she does get away without something.

     So when Quinn is caught kissing a boy who isn't her boyfriend Carey. Carey is a Marine and shortly after the incident gets sent off to Afghanistan. The story starts with him being reported as MIA and the whole community reeling in agony. However as much as Quinn wants to feel sorry and question what is going on with her ex-boyfriend Carey she can't because of the backlash of the community.

     The story is so relatable, because of the secret that Quinn is keeping for Carey. The reason this is relatable, is everyone keeps secrets for their friends even if the backlash is tremendous. However this is the part of the book that I don't understand. Quinn's family life, her friends, the whole community flat out bullies her and doesn't ask her what happened, they just assume what went on. I don't see how Quinn put up with the abuse for so long. If it was me I would have said something sooner than her.

     The romance in the book, even if it takes a backstory to Quinn and her overall growth makes me enjoy the book that much more. Blake was great, the boy she was caught kissing, and while she does care about him she can't date him because it solidifies the community assumptions. However, if she does care about him that much she should have said something to someone. She has the options to more than just once, and it just boggled my mind why she didn't.

     If you want a quick read, something that will take your mind and heart and rip them both open, I suggest this book. It's great, and it's maybe 280 pages so it's a short quick read. I guarantee that by the end of this book you will need a box if tissues or something to wipe the tears away. Jackson created a beast in this book, and it's wrapped up so nice and cuddly Do not underestimate this book, it's worth it!
Share this article :

+ comments + 1 comments

July 8, 2015 at 9:09 AM

I read this recently and I'm still trying to cope with all of the feelings If I Lie gave me. It was incredible and will definitely stick with me. Corrine Jackson is, without a doubt, an author to keep an eye on.

Marlene
Top rated sites, Decking Ipe information

Post a Comment
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger