Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Fallen by Lauren Kate

Title: Fallen
     Author: Lauren Kate
     Series: #1 - Fallen
     Format: Hardcover
     Release Date: December 8th, 2009
     My Rating: 3.5 out of 5.0

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.
Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

My Review:

     This one was interesting. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started this. I know this is probably going to sound like the most retarded reason to pick up a book, but I enjoyed the covers and the synopsis of the book seemed like a pretty decent romance novel. As well, knowing the series had four books to it I knew it had the length to make me want more. However, at the end of the first book I wasn’t sure.

     Enough rambling, this was more of a trying to figure out what was going on with Luce than anything else. I found myself curious about Daniel Grigori and what he meant to Luce. I mean there just was this mysteriousness about him and frankly he was very alluring. As well, there was Cam, he just seemed to open too apparent. There wasn’t anything to him that seemed to be hidden.

     The characters were well constructed minus one; Luce I had a few problems with. First Luce gets involved in the one thing I hate most of all throughout the first two thirds of the book, the damn love triangle. And well, her reason is she’s not sure who she should be with, Cam or Daniel. Well it’s not a hard choice to be honest, in the beginning with how bad Daniel treats her I don’t believe any normal girl would continue to give him the time of day. As well, when she does make a choice she goes back to the other to tell him her choice. Who does that? Okay well maybe a girl who wants to be nice and leave under good terms.

     Then Luce is this dumb girl who is too stupid to understand that the man she chose to be with is an Angel, and frankly I couldn’t either. The change from Daniel being a complete asshole, to coming out and saying that "Not so long that I've forgotten that you're worth everything. Every sacrifice. Every pain.” I found the transformation just too quick and abrupt that it almost seemed absurd. As well when the information came out about Cam and Daniel being fallen angels, and seemingly fighting over Luce.

     There wasn’t that much of a world to say that anything was built really. I found it lacked some more creative nature, or more of a world. There was the boarding school, and the small little bar or whatever it was. There really wasn’t much of a world, and I wanted more. Which I feel went along with the lack thereof in Luce as well.

     Fallen wasn’t bad, if you are into the sort of cliché romance novels, with a girl who falls for a guy who tries to stay away from her because it hurts or whatever, but seemingly saves her at every chance. As well, I know many of you are going to say an old Angel going out with a seventeen year old is disgusting and blah blah blah. The question I have is, do angels have age? Or do they even age? That’s a hole I believe needs addressed with this book, cause otherwise you have a huge pedophile issue looming overhead.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger