Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Flashback Friday] - #1

Flashback Friday is a weekly event, hosted here, that highlights a past released that we're dying to get our hands on...

See something you like here?
Check the book out on Goodreads and add it to your TBR List!



Book Title: Beautiful Creatures
     Author: Kami Garcia

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

My Stance:

     When I tend to get interested in books that have been on shelves for a decent length of time (years or a few months for that matter) I tend to look at other reviews and see what people are thinking. Is it a good book, what do they say about the style and does it fit with what I enjoy in a book, and does the synopsis at least give me a sense of involvement or enough interest to be some-what invested.

     Beautiful Creatures to me has this sense of romance that I tend to enjoy, or so I say that now. We'll see later when I pick up the book or however long it stays on my wishlist. The reviews are all over the place, I've seen 1s all the way to 5s (or whatever max scale you want to use). The disparity between reviews and how spread out they are also got my attention, how can a book have so many people hate it and love it, and not be named Twilight? I am curious, and frankly interested in seeing this book closer and at least giving it a shot.



Book Title: Leviathan
     Author: Scott Westerfeld

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.
Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.
With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.


My Stance:

     I have heard nothing but good things about Scott Westerfeld, and the series of Leviathan. This book has kind been on my radar for a while, there is just something about the book that's put me off getting it sooner. And I'm not sure what it is about it, but it just hasn't caught me completely like some of the other books I have sunk my teeth into.

     I almost have to wonder if it's the whole alternate universe of World War I or is this on a different planet? I don't understand it completely, and that may frankly be the whole bit that keeps me at arms length on this book. I will read it, I am very very curious on what all the hype and stuff is about this book and Mr. Westerfeld. I am just not sure how much of my taste it will be; I'm very much open to being swayed the other way though!
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger