Latest News:
House of Night Marathon - 7 complete!

[Book Review] - Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Title: Chosen
   Author: Kerstin Gier
   Series: #2 - Ruby Red
   Format: Hardcover
   Release Date: May 10th, 2011
   My Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0

     Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

     Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

My Review:

     This was by far one of my more favorite books that I've read in a while. I wanted a book that just twisted a old victorian world and made a lasting impression on it. I love the whole victorian era and the sense of hopeless romantic sort of feel with the whole genre, however I didn't expect this book to go all sci-fi and take it a step further. I know most of you are like, "Did you read the synopsis?" Frankly, no. I got this book on a whim, I've heard a lot of good things about the book and just ordered it without really thinking or doing any research, which is rare for me.

     Personally what got me the most about the book was Gwyneth. She was terrific for this book and what it needed to take shape. She's an average girl, almost a servant from what I can tell just by reading it once and the first book alone. She has a normal life, her family believes that her sister Charlotte is a carrier of a gene or the child born at a specific time which means when she's old enough, she will be a time traveler. However part Gwyn is that she's not been completely honest with everyone, and while seeing ghosts her whole life doesn't seem strange, it all changes when one afternoon in class she manages to travel.

     What gets me the most is the family, yeah they are shocked. Her mother not so much, but her aunt and other relatives they live with, almost hate her. Some still care about her, but it's the way Charlotte is heartbroken and turns completely on Gwyn that just puts the nail in the coffin for her character. I like how Gier molded the characters so well. Each has their own place and purpose. However, when you think about it, it has bit of the whole Cinderella theme to it.

     The whole idea that drove the story home, was how Gwyn knows nothing about the world she is heading into. Gwyn is thrust into a world she knows nothing about, and what she is going through is completely new and just like entering high school all over again. What I find great about the whole bit, is she jumps in head first and manages to survive and manage herself. I find it endearing and brave, that she faces it all head first, and the world she is used to changes dramatically.

     Gideon is supposed to be Charlotte's and when Charlotte isn't who she thought she'd be, when Gwyn is forced Charlotte's shoes. Gideon comes with it, Gwyn is something else. Their romance is rather shocking and almost a bit rushed. I wish there was more of it, or time for it grow. The times they are together and trying to figure each other out, it's more or less spent defending each other. I found the two great and refreshing, I wanted more of the two together, and there is something about the two that doesn't seem too off or unusual.

     The book was a great intro, and while there is more to be known about the whole time travel issue. The book ends great and while there is more to see in the next book there is something that pushes me on to the next book, I want more out of the whole kit, and while there were some small issues with the romance and the whole plot, I am hoping there is more to the series in the next book. I am looking forward to starting and reading the next book. Here's to Gier's great work.
Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. The Paper Critic - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger